This is going to sound dumb… but why would sound stop?
I know that forums can be full of people posting odd problems that are vague and non-descript, so I’ll try and be specific! But this is odd…
I’ve been working on a large patch for quite sometime. And its been working fine.
All of a sudden, my audio won’t come out of my dac~, or possibly my soundcard. Its a little hard to tell.
I have a dac~ with 6 outputs, and routing a variety of audio in. I’ve connected meter~ objects to all of the recieve~objects that channel into the dac~, and they illuminate, just like audio is flowing.
My soundcard, a motu ultralite mk3 is signalling on the front that audio is flowing into it. But nothing comes out the headphone jack, or through my mixer.
Here’s the weird part. I open up the help file from groove~. Test it and it works. Everything lights up as you would expect, but I actually hear audio. No difference in operation apart from the fact that I hear sound in this one. Where as my patch makes no sound anymore.
I’ve also tried selecting the internal soundcard on the macbook pro and running the same test. The same thing happens. My patch won’t run, the groove~ help file will. This makes me think its not my soundcard but something in Max/msp or my laptop.
The odd thing about this is that the patch was working. I mean, routing audio isn’t by any means the trickiest thing to do in max. And I’ve been using this set up for awhile.
As to why it would just stop, I have no idea. It did manage to come back to life after two hours of cursing last week (its just spontaneously decided to do so), but I’ve come into my studio fresh and the same problem is happening.
If anyone could help with suggestions or tests I could try that would be great.
Thoroughly confused, Todd AK
Running Max 6 on a Macbook Pro, 10.6.8 (snow leopard), 2.5ghz intel core duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, with about 13GB of free hard drive space.
Could be a blown filter or DC-Offset problem.
You can hook up a [scope~] before your [dac~] and see if the waveform looks ok.
Mudang: I hooked up a scope, and I see nothing, it flatlines.
What’s a blown filter involve? Or better, how is it rectified?
rectifying blown filter: only applicable if you’re using something like biquad~, use the ‘clear’ message to reset the filter.
it’s confusing if you have meter~ show something but scope~ is flatlining. but when this has happened to me before, it’s usually because i’ve created a signal feedback loop:
-- Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. --Copy all of the following text. Then, in Max, select New From Clipboard.----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 646.3ocyW00aaBCE8Y3WgEOmE4OfDxzzj1uiopJGvswcfMx3zj1pxu8gMPaZ Kq0IPH6kX4at4x4dNG6K4Ieuf0x8rx.v2A+F348jummMjIfW6dufb59jLZoM sfDYdNSnCl07cZ1dsM9ODLtdCSA1wyx.6jp+7ytbtQJzk7GYl7P34v1vhs4b QFSaqKpMHO0VM4569FJN30Lka0coBOnrBZtsrA+RwoYc4WP0Ia3hauVwRzMM GFtn9ACv3XyBBZWvv4PvUleyy99lOl4HIHX6pQ3G3fR9sUCsoWzeS2kZSH8C Erl9x7LE0cN3pSgUhHvCXEBYXjx170L0Wz+ETUM3zL00LAccF6PA8K4ln94F 7+ha3FeJHXMUb6.IHnoC.QvAQPkIxBVUPecKtmtk741+dPaXLZdTsN13tQMX 2tLlt7TVllNXeNZJ84jVkKBYVBwmiC+JplUABmeLDSexN7RPLs96yBwTrgVJ UU.7Pol3K.yfVZuTbw4YdAcSE.NTZAeIlXrLdDtP7lLYMlOiSLVcjCLpADcn iLVF1bq6pQffXOlRSbdhwxidfAI1dgHIzZxCi597j.qUj5Gr8HMQGoqsQZdQ R5yZt5fdItc123dfM4gjLV0.OuRlxyqs9PLI9UEdruFaTXkI88APMjBb0mPJ 1JGjwEu++GYqmI9aYpR4VURG55dUd.7E.lxJ0bAUykhCRB+lb1vSSYhCOzlx KMW5Y4IXuRlyvIxA37NLeVwCzE7PlL7fcANFLilF5A4n6A8ejZglL0J1U0Zh LyN.GxjIVDGPSzjwMqbQplLzPbDMmhR0LxfVTbOSU1VRKPpGidmTY1tXlcKW zr0Vw.E6ddW9DeS0d1+uLsEfZC -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
Raja: Thanks for the example! And the advice.
It seems a clear message did it, but I had a ‘cascade~’ object that was blocking the works. Thanks all!
ya, i had the same problem before toddak, drove me nuts until i followed the chain down to the filter and realized it was the problem.
keyword was followed it DOWN, if something isnt working right like that, i usually find a part of the patch thats outputting data properly and then follow it down until i notice a problem. then you know what object is causing it.
Forums > MaxMSP