tips on tidy file management? finding external objects in a patcher?
Im migrating a patcher into Max/MSP 4.6 from 4.5 and thought id use it as an opportunity to clean up my act in terms of file management.
as i started on this whilst I knew less than i do now (which is to say nothing at all) about Max, my storage and referencing of external objects in the patcher was messy at best…
im wondering if there is a way of looking up all non-"native" objects used in a patch? other than looking into all the various components and checking them against a database of "out of the box" max objects…
also im thinking in terms of cleanly migrating this patcher over to other machines, is it advisable to store all external obects or a copy thereof) into a sub folder within the project folder?
does anyone have general tips and links in terms of building and storing this stuff efficiently and neatly? I found it a big sprawling mess, as i forgot to make an sub-folders within the cycling 74/externals folder… ive totally lost track of where stuff is…
and any thoughts on better managing in terms of 4.6 – which has a differnt directory structure – would be really appreciated…
>>> im wondering if there is a way of looking
> up all non-"native" objects used in a patch?
> other than looking into all the various components
> and checking them against a database of "out of
> the box" max objects…
there is something what you can do to get all externals
used drawn to the console. not sure what it was. :)
>>> also im thinking in terms of cleanly migrating
> this patcher over to other machines, is it advisable
> to store all external obects or a copy thereof) into
> a sub folder within the project folder?
side by side or even in subfolders is the best place
where to put pictures and subpatchers.
i have "project folder"s and inside the project folders
there are folders for "project 01", "project 02", and so on.
everything what is needed for project 01 is in the 01 folder.
if i need the same picture for project 02 i make a copy
of the picture file and rename it to "picture 02", so that
all project folders remain completely independant (except
externals of course)
> found it a big sprawling mess, as i forgot to make an
> sub-folders within the cycling 74/externals folder… ive
> totally lost track of where stuff is…
that is the point where you should start sorting things. :)
the new forced anti-chaos structure of the latest MAX is
only useful for people which have not learned custom
refinding your old source files can be tricky, but you could
basically perform this:
– open old project, to see if something is missing.
– try to find all source files for the patch.
– close the patch
– if somehting is missing and can not be found, DONT SAVE THE PATCH.
– move all the source files into a new folder INSIDE THE SEARCH PATH. – make to first have a proper search path around your projects? location. if you need to create new folders and new search paths REBOOT MAX.
– now make sure to delete (or remove or zip) possible copies in other places, AND FILES OF THE SAME NAME INSIDE THE SEARCH PATH.
– open the patch again, it should look for the missing, i.e. moved or copied source files in the search path now.
– if it found more missing source files than lost new items, it is now time to SAVE the patch into a new file, so that pathes are now fixed.
– if something goes wrong, always check for files with a search program, never trust MAX when it comes to problems with source files.
ctrl+click on the patcher background (the white area), from the menu choose "Get Info". You will get a list of the file path of every external in your patch.
Hope this helps!
thank you both…
i imagine this is a fairly common issue, i guess 4.6 will help me sort out my messy approach
Forums > MaxMSP