Forums > Jitter

using iphone as video input

Jun 10 2010 | 8:10 pm

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the iPhone’s camera as a video input to jit.qt.grab?

Jun 11 2010 | 1:52 pm

This app lets you use your iphone camera as a webcam. Although I haven’t tried it with Jitter, can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t work.

Jun 11 2010 | 1:57 pm

thanks, i’ll look into this. some bad reviews, have you used this app, David?

Jun 12 2010 | 3:11 pm

I just tried it out with Jitter and the video coming through was 1-dimensional, ie the same x-value was being seen across the y-axis. Not sure why this is, but perhaps not the best solution in this case. Haven’t seen anything else that can do this though.

Sep 14 2010 | 9:02 pm

I found an app that works for this:

Sep 23 2011 | 8:40 pm

yes, strange. I used the pocketcam a year ago and it was fine and now it is not??? a change in Jitter, a change in pocketcam, i don’t know

has there been any new apps since a year ago?

Oct 19 2016 | 10:20 pm

Just thought I’d top this thread, since it’s been about 6 years now.. This seems like something a lot of people would potentially want to do (or already be doing) with Jitter… Has anyone solved an open-source solution for the time being?

Oct 20 2016 | 9:42 am

Last time I worked with this, I found Airbeam to be the most reliable/flexible option.

Also, if you have a newer iphone and computer you get much better frame-rates and lower latency by connecting the idevices directly over wifi to the computer instead of running thru a router.

Oh yes – all video is transmitted as syphon streams.

Oct 20 2016 | 10:00 am

airbeam looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

Oct 21 2016 | 11:31 am

Yes, airbeam is "quite" cool and easy. And it allows for turning on the light on the iphone while sending video too…
If you do a Adhoc network the latency is not too bad at all.

This is how I located the giant dead possum up under/in my house – I used a iphone with Airbeam like a periscope, made a horrible job a little less horrible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums > Jitter