Using patcher arguments to change the names of [send] objects within a patcher
I’ve built a patcher with many [send] objects in it, and I was wondering if it was possible to use something like patcher arguments (#1, #2, #3 etc…) to change the name of the [send] objects between each instance of it?
For example, the send objects names are currently ‘load_1′, ‘save_1′, and ‘delete_1′, but I would like them to be the equivalent of load_#1′, ‘save_#1′, and ‘delete_#1′ so that I can use the patcher many times but changing the [send] names each time using a patcher argument. However I’ve tried it and noticed that Max sees the ‘#1′ symbol as part of the [send] name so the patcher argument is ignored.
Is there anyway to do this?
The # argument needs to be at the front of a string. #1_something will work, but something_#1 won’t.
So simple! Works great, thanks mz!
You can also try [forward].
But… what if name_#1 is needed? I tried using sprintf set name_%ld (and variations) on a send object, but the send object doesn’t seem to receive the name, not even on load.
Look at how set works in the send help file, then look at the post right above yours.
I have read that, thanx. In other words,
A: there is no way to dynamically set the name of a send object, not even upon it’s instantiation.
B: Upon patch load a simple sprintf send name_%s (or %s_name) prepares a forward object to send to the corresponding receive object. Drawback: no display of connected receive objects upon double clicking the forward object. Pity.
"dynamically" seems to be the exact opposite of "upon instantiation". :)
i think the requirement to do that from outside is ok.
think of the special #0 situation and you will see why:
loading a [forward #0_foo] would be totally useless, because it wont be able to find its [receive #0_foo] bitch and interact with it.
so here there is no other option anyway than using something like [loadbang]-[t #0_foo]-[prepend set].
also, i think you will end up with much more ordentliche and gemütliche patches when there is only one place where you take your arguments-to-patchers in, and then use connections to get a "master" [i #5] to dozens of objects.
this allows you, among other things, to have an initial state other than "0" in an abstraction, when no argumen has ben set from outside. this is just reproducing how many externals work, too (and i wish they would all do it liks this.)
If you really must have this, then put this in an abstraction:
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 460.3ocwT1rSiCCD.9bxSgkq1aYQwojRK6o8EXkPbDgPtISaMJwIx1oaADu6 qmwMPKztsTgfCYjle7LS97L9o3H9zlUfkytjcCKJ5o3nHxDZHZsdDuVtpnRZ ov3Z3uMSummDb4fUNxbUirbpTOu2QqzUrPomemAJbg7mMbzYoILwDTNJEkYd I610GYVi1YUOBXzhLu6f4lNWE3bOzBgzvox7xoTkT888zOEB9FoRKqoSv+sQ Iq58n6pUZe9neFwqFCUIXEM9bbLJRNRpTCVqbN7NrLPbXfjeAJGlcVtGNiOA fraXj9AgQ1mFL1yHhs0nztYLagQ05X9nJgYxtJGq9gqAcISjlReVTA6369g8 v3axPBehKN4ApcxuweayR6AetEJKQAv7efhXBsdIxxosrImNTR1CXx+T.S+z lUtruhC9CVys9MY7eghAWgR+TQvB61MnJ0h7Jk9sOiQIAsuMpsMclh9Rt9hl 8JdJAqSokNUidiXx2JlEpxRfb2SuRkUNsBHHktyq7isav2vNX6f61eU8S5Qz OiOw1Ib2IaaWBF65TRcheg39FCpNJgTU5fJMLwMvRUe7CIKRieQv42B5Lg4w UiNmGi0443+AOr9luB -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
However, it seems like bad programming practice.
Forums > MaxMSP