VST Efficiency in Max
Has anybody ever noticed VST efficiency issues in Max? I am trying to create a patch that will create music using MIDI (the seq object used to access MIDI files) and played back using VST synths.
I have tried a variety of synths (each of which will have its own multi effects unit in the DSP chain) but the amount of CPU resources used seems to be ridiculous.
Tests I have done show that 5 of the same VSTi (in this case – Orca), with 2 multi Fx units (LFX-1310) and 6 samples being played back using the play~ object use up an average 62% of my Dual 2GHz G5 CPU.
I tried the same VST’s in Cubase SX3 and got 6 of each of the VST’s plus samples playing back without using even a third of the processor.
Has anyone ever experienced this and managed to overcome it? I have done the usual things like use poly’s that turn off when there is no audio signal passing through.
yes, I have the same problem (windows xp). VST in max is also unstable, lots of plugins crash max. Most of the times I am alright by loading vsts into Bidule VST, which sits as a vst plugin inside max. Also I am getting crackles, which is, most of the time, due to Max not sending time data to vsts, so the plugins envelopes generators are getting confused. My best solutions to this is OSC max messages to standalone bidule holding the plugins.
was starting to think I was the only one experiencing this.
The external VST host idea was one I thought of trying but I am yet to find anything appropriate for mac so haven’t been able to try. Interestingly I haven’t had any crackle problems. Just efficiency issues. It would be interesting to know:
a) Is this a problem with the max VST host, it seems so to me with my limited knowledge.
b) If a) is true…. does Max 5 address the problem
Andy Brennan schrieb:
> a) Is this a problem with the max VST host, it seems so to me with my
> limited knowledge.
Max does not use the multiple Processors, it uses only one for the Audio
> b) If a) is true…. does Max 5 address the problem
Yes, Max 5 is supposed to adress this problem at least with poly~’s,
which can be distributed accross the processors. I guess for VST’s this
is also true, because they also build their own DSp chain…
I don’t know your VSTi, but most of them are multitimbral and could
address different timbres independently. Maybe your solution is to load
only one of these expensive beasts and get the information flow to them
Forums > MaxMSP