weird carnivore behaviour
I wrote recently to the list reporting consistent crashs on opening a
carnivore client patch. (http://itserve.cc.ed.nyu.edu/RSG/carnivore/)
f.e. suggested i should try running the mxj example files to see if
there was anything wrong with the java.
Trying out the mxj examples has suggested, by accident I found a
weird solution for the problem.
If I open a mxj example, and let it run the class, before i open the
carnivore file. This way max doesn’t crash on opening the carnivore
I have already sniffed a little on my school network ; )
I am sure this weird solution has a very logical explanation.
Does anyone has an ideia of what’s happening?
Thanks for your time.
Hi f.e., vade and list : )
The weird carnivore behavior is solved. It was solved by upgrading
Java for OS X for JS2E 5.0 release 4 (PPC) has suggested. Now
carnivore is working well on mac os 10.4.6, max-msp 4.5.
Thanks a lot for your help and shared knowledge.
Cheers and all the best for this weekend.
That’s pretty weird, for sure…
But, Ana, i asked you before, in order for me to answer you : what
version of Java do you use ? Max version ? OS version ?
Anyway, connections between Carnivore client and Max thru Java aren’t
really safe (too much crashes to use it in an all-day-long job). Pyhton
tests i made were successfull for the network part, but Max doesn’t
crash, it explodes litteraly because of the very very very large amout
of data coming thru. So, i’ll have to manage how to parse it before i
could recommend you the Python solution…
The Carnivore client for OS X and PC has a data rate limiter in the
main window of the App, Id experiment with how much the machine can
Also, you might try re-installing Java for OS X, which you can do by
going to apple.com/support/downloads/ and grabbing the latest Java
version. If the Installer tells you it cant install, go to /Library/
Receipts/ and delete the Java receipts. (mine are
Java131and142Release2.pkg Java14Tools.pkg Java.pkg and
J2SE50Release3.pkg running on OS X 10.4.6 and without the latest
software update for java (JS2E 5.0 release 4).
Maybe thats the key. It works fine for me, but havent installed J2SE
I havent run Carnivore for a long time, but I did note that Max
seemed stable even at the highest datarate, with me browsing, etc. It
could very well be a bad Max/MSP preference too. Can you verify that
other Java apps work fine. I saw your note that loading another MXJ
works properly – very odd.
v a d e //
Forums > MaxMSP