Forums > MaxMSP

Window's background transparency behavior problem

October 8, 2013 | 9:45 am

I’ve built a patch which has the following functionality:
– Window without titlebar, menu, scroll, etc. Just a "square without any standard user interface element;
– The background color of the patcher window is 100% transparent (opacity 0);
– The window always stays on top through the "topmost 1" message, even when interacting with other applications (Max in background).

This is all working well.

In Windows, if I click inside the patcher window in a blank section (no Max elements), I can interact with the windows/applications beneath it (e.g, browser). Great!
In Mac OS X, when I do the same, the mouse clicks don’t "pass through" to the other applications behind the window.

I post the patch as an attachment and would appreciate if you guys can confirm this problem.

By the way, the tested systems were:
Max 6.1.3 (32 bit) on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7 Pro

I was really counting on this functionality for my application and initially built it in my windows computer. When I tried it on my MacBook Pro I came across this eventual problem.

Can anybody confirm this behavior? Btw, to close the patch just click on "wclose".

Thanks in advance!

October 10, 2013 | 6:52 am

OK, I’ll assume it’s a bug and fill a bug report form then. I’ll post back the response for a future search on the subject.

October 17, 2013 | 7:11 am

I know I’m talking to myself here, but for future reference, I reported the problem and the response was that the difference between Mac OS X and Windows behaviors when clicking on a 100% transparent portion of a window was due to the operating system implementations, and it really seemed to me that no "workaround" was planned in the immediate future. Obviously, it is possible on the Mac ( but it’s not a priority or maybe even a concern.

So, right now, if you click on a transparent portion of a window,
in Mac OS X (tested with 10.6.8), Max "captures" the click and doesn’t let you interact with the applications beneath it;
in Windows (tested with 7 Pro 64) Max doesn’t capture the click and lets you interact with the applications beneath it (great).

I would wish for more features consistency between OSes when trying to build applications though… this would be very useful for an application I’m doing. Anyway, non-rectangular windows are out of the question…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums > MaxMSP