I haven't embarrassed myself on this list in a while. So here I am with another dumb question. My usual disclaimer:
1. I know it is in the docs. Everything is always in the docs. but I usually ask a question is because i don't understand the docs or the ref page. I am a moron. I need everything to be super explicit and clear so explain it to me like i am a 9 year old.
I don't quite understand how you specify a trapezoid. You specify 2 things: a ramp up and ramp down time. I am guessing these are as percentages of the overall duration? But the confusion comes in because every trapezoid I have ever seen has three segments. (here i am using a trapezoid env just to de-click):
1. rise.... how fast to go from 0-> 1 (or whatever your max value is).
2. usually some long stretch *at* the max value (1->1)
3. the decay time.... (1->0)
In many music11 type languages you have some kind of lineseg you can use where you specify a trapezoid de-click envelope to have a fast rise time, stay at full amplitude for as much of the sample as possible (the whole duration minus whatever rise and fall time there is) and then quick zip down to zero like:
So it is unclear how the 2 arguments specify the three segments since there are several ways that this could be done.
It looks like trapezoid wants you to specify the arguments as
1. percentage of the total duration to use as rise time.
2. percentage the env stays at the max value.
and then it just uses whatever is remained for the decay time?
But the defaults (.1 & .9) confuse as .1 would be to use 10% of the overall duration as a rise time leaving 90% left over for the steady state but then what about the decay time. Well that is already 100%. What does it use for the decay time? and if the steady part and the decay are supposed to be included in that second arg (the 90%) how does it know how much to use for each portion?
I just want a trapezoid env that has a super fast rise, stays at full blast as long as possible and has a super quick decay time just to use as a general de-clicker. I don't get why .1 and .9 works.
Just with that how does it now how fast the decay slope should be? If it just assumes that the slope up is the same as the slope down then .1 and .8 is necessary so that .1 is left over for the decay.
Alternately, I would imagine .05 and .9 to be correct as .05+.9+.05 is =1. and some remaindered percentage is necessary for the decay, no?