While on the subject of patch cords... thru scripting I change their color, but they do not update until:
1) switching from Edit back to Locked mode (not good for the final application)
2) doing a disconnect/reconnect (weird and unnerving)
3) doing a send to back / bring to front of the object where the cords originate.
I wanted to be able to animate thru color changes when data is actively being sent through patch cords. I got it working eventually, but needed to do this weird workaround (#3 above). Strange. The amount of work it took to figure it out was kinda annoying... but, once it worked, it looked pretty dang cool, and actually was instructive regarding when and how data is sent.
I couldn't agree more... so many times I realize I've been fiddling with something for hours and there hasn't been a peep of sound from the speakers! Kind of sad, but the process is interesting.
Also, I'm doing a lot of this to build a set of tutorials for students in Max classes that I assist in. Hopefully it'll build up my knowledge and resources to push me towards a job working with and teaching Max. So really, it's all about the Benjamins... and (hopefully) job security!