A simple way to convert PC inputs; keyboard, mouse, joystick etc, to midi input, combine it with other midi instrument input, then route it to whatever instrument you wish.
An open, extensible system to integrate a pc/mac and midi devices, into a single musical omni-instrument, usable by non-technical people with a flexible “set-up once and forget” process.
A few highlights:
· Allows adding sustain, pitch-bend and modulation controls, via one or more touch-pads or a mouse, to any midi system.
· Any key can trigger a note, control command, pitch-bend, or preset action; converts your PC-keyboard into an auxiliary midi-input controller and keyboard.
· Works especially well with 2-dimensional instruments like the Axis-49 and -64.
· Enables features that are normally considered “high-end” in keyboards, such as keyboard splitting (parts of a keyboard playing other instrumental sounds), and key and octave shifting at the touch of a key.
· Extensible with a Max/MSP development system. For example, it can be made fully micro-tonal.
It is certainly not perfect – it would be better with bpatches, for example. I would be happy to see how it can be improved.
It uses Max throughout, and takes advantage of the neat PC keyboard input translation you provide.
It is also a good example of how to document Max/MSP.
It also contains many patches that can be reused by others.