A simple way to convert PC inputs; keyboard, mouse, joystick etc, to midi input, combine it with other midi instrument input, then route it to whatever instrument you wish.
An open, extensible system to integrate a pc/mac and midi devices, into a single musical omni-instrument, usable by non-technical people with a flexible “set-up once and forget” process.
A few highlights:
· Allows adding sustain, pitch-bend and modulation controls, via one or more touch-pads or a mouse, to any midi system.
· Any key can trigger a note, control command, pitch-bend, or preset action; converts your PC-keyboard into an auxiliary midi-input controller and keyboard.
· Works especially well with 2-dimensional instruments like the Axis-49 and -64.
· Enables features that are normally considered “high-end” in keyboards, such as keyboard splitting (parts of a keyboard playing other instrumental sounds), and key and octave shifting at the touch of a key.
· Extensible with a Max/MSP development system. For example, it can be made fully micro-tonal.
It is certainly not perfect – it would be better with bpatches, for example. I would be happy to see how it can be improved.
How did this project use Max?
It uses Max throughout, and takes advantage of the neat PC keyboard input translation you provide.
It is also a good example of how to document Max/MSP.
It also contains many patches that can be reused by others.