FAQ: Max for Live
Who is selling Max for Live and how do I get it?
Max for Live is sold by Ableton as an add-on product to Live 8.1 (or later) or as part of Live 9 Suite. You can purchase Max for Live exclusively at Ableton’s online shop. Cycling ’74 sells a Crossgrade to Max, if you own Max for Live or Live 9 Suite and then also want Max.
How do I find my Live or Max for Live serial number?
When you visit your Ableton account on ableton.com, click the “View License Details” link under the list of products you own. The serial numbers will then be displayed.
Is Max 6 or 7 compatible with Max for Live?
Ableton Live 9: Max 6.1 is required to run and edit Live 9 Max for Live devices.
Ableton Live 9: Max 7 is compatible with Live 9 , and you can use Max 7 as the Max for Live editor if you are a Max 7 license holder. (Learn about crossgrading to a Max 7 license.) Full support for Max 7 as the Max for Live editor will be included in a future Live release.
Can I get a boxed version of Max for Live?
How much does Max for Live cost?
Find current purchasing options and prices on Ableton’s website. There are Full Versions and Crossgrades, depending on what you own currently. If you own Max 5 (or later), you are eligible for a reduced price CROSSGRADE of Max for Live from Ableton.
- Need to upgrade to Max 7 to get the Max for Live Crossgrade? If you own Max 4 or 5, you can use this opportunity to take advantage of Ableton’s special crossgrade price on Max for Live. Look through your upgrading options. (Your upgrade price may vary depending on which products you already own.)
- If you purchased a subscription or a temporary 12-month Max 7, you are not eligible for the Crossgrade of Max for Live from Ableton. You need to purchase a full license of Max 7 first. Remember: You can apply $39 of your temporary 12-month purchase to a new, full purchase of Max 7. E-mail email@example.com for details.
- If you represent a school e-mail Ableton’s Edu Sales Team for details. (If the school owns Max 5 (or later) and you don’t know the serial numbers, contact our edu sales department first to get details.)
What kind of resources are there?
- Find articles and tutorials related to Max for Live.
- Participate in the Max for Live forum or browse the archives.
- Visit MaxForLive.com’s device library to see what other Max for Live users have been creating.
- Browse Ableton’s Max for Live FAQ page for valuable answers to common questions.
- Hear what people are creating on the Max for Live Soundcloud group.
What is the difference between Max and Max for Live?
Max for Live requires Live 8.1 (or later) and Max 5.1 (or later).
Max for Live adds the ability for the Max application to be used as an editor for building Live devices. Existing Max users can continue to work with Max as they always have. To work on Live devices, you start by editing an existing device from inside Live.
For users who only own Max for Live, the Max application will have the following limitations:
- no built in support for audio and MIDI (Live is used for audio and MIDI I/O)
- restrictions on seeing Jitter images in the Max application (Jitter is fully functional inside Live)
- no ability to build standalone applications