Forums > MaxMSP

Control 5G ipod over USB?

January 19, 2008 | 2:42 am

Hi all,

I would like to ask if there is a way to control playback of 5G ipod thru Max/MSP?

In it’s simplest form i’d like to be able to control play/pause of an ipod connected over USB. My ultimate goal is to be able to do this for multiple ipods, all controlled by one Mac!!

The reason for this??

I am trying to create a system to control a multi-screen video wall. My idea was to create separate video content on each ipod video, which when triggered ,would playback one huge video across all the screens in sync.

Ultimately this could grow into a piece of software with video playlist management, scripting etc. For now I just need to find out how I can control playback from a Mac or PC.

I just want to know, is this something that might be possible with Max/MSP? Any information, ideas or directions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy

January 19, 2008 | 8:23 pm

if an ipod is connected to a mac, then you can control the ipod through itunes, and thus, you can control the ipod with applescript, and thus, you can control the ipod with max by using either the tap.applescript external, or the shell external and the osascript command. i think you can even control multiple ipods this way, because they each can be referenced by their name.

this is all mac only, and i’ve never done it but it *should* be possible.

let us know what you come up with.

January 19, 2008 | 11:34 pm

That’s a sweet idea, but good luck playing them in sync. It’ll be like pressing play at the same time on two cd players. Video Zaireeka?

jln
January 20, 2008 | 12:20 am

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)