Forums > MaxMSP

OSC data from max to quartz composer?

March 22, 2010 | 8:31 am

Hi, not sure if anyone has used the OSC receive function in Quartz composer but i’m currently having very little success. I’ve tried it on various different ports and IP addresses and still no luck. Maybe there is a specific IP address i need to use or a port or something?
If any one has figured out how to get this working your help would be appreciated.

Cheers

March 22, 2010 | 12:04 pm

Without detail, its hard to point to the precise cause of your problem, but, in my basic tests I had no luck with the QC OSC REceiver either, while got this custom QC patch to receive from max pretty quickly.

http://hexler.net/quartz-composer-love

good luck.

March 22, 2010 | 12:37 pm

I did some tests a while ago and had no basic problems. Attached is a QC example that receives the coordinates of a circle. Note however that x and y must be sent with separate messages because QC can handle only single arguments.

Attachments:
  1. OSCctrl_XY.qtz.zip

March 22, 2010 | 1:04 pm

Interesting… thnx broc.

Well, I don’t know what I was doing wrong with QC OSC receiver, it appears to work now.

What I can say comparing the two is that qcOSC appears to be a lot smoother (read less glitchy) than the built in OSC receiver which appears to jump to 0. 0. (origin) arbitrarily. Which according to the author of qcOSC, the reason they created the plug-in…

March 22, 2010 | 1:39 pm

Yes, I can confirm some glitches with the built in OSC receiver.
So for serious work the qcOSC plugin seems indeed very useful.

March 23, 2010 | 10:29 am

Cheers for your help guys.
I’ve moved that qcOSC into the appropriate folder but i can’t quite figure out how to open that with in QC… any advice?
I’ll try out the patch you’ve attached and see what comes of it.

Cheers again

March 24, 2010 | 8:25 am

The plug-in should go in Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Plug-Ins (or user/Library/Graphics/…)

In Quartz composer the plug-in should appear in the Patch Creator window list as qcOSC under the Plug-in Category. In the settings item of the inspector pane set the port to the port you expect to receive OSC data on.

Below is a patch to send OSC x y messages to control brocs QC Composition.

HTH

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 24, 2010 | 9:48 am

Hi spectro,

I wonder why you don’t simply use the Max built-in udpsend like this.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 24, 2010 | 11:08 am

Yeah, I had to remind myself. Goes back to doing some network OSC stuff a while back (OTUDP) and having some issues and more recently reading about better OSC compatibility in the UDP help file [p cnmat_compatibilty] which I just checked again and is still there. For most purposes its probably redundant, but old habits die hard…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)