Forums > Max For Live

Sysex and Live 9 – is it now possible?

May 14, 2013 | 6:25 am

This is a question that despite my best efforts I can’t get answered, put simply:

Can an M4L device send SYSEX out through Ableton’s Midi ports? I was previously of the understanding that Ableton filtered SYSEX on the way out, is this still the case with V9?

Basically all I want to do is build devices to edit parameters on pre-CC synths. I have built devices for more modern machines like the Roland Gaia but would like to do the same with things like D50′s etc etc.

May 14, 2013 | 7:53 am

it’s my understanding that you can use objects such as thesE:

http://cycling74.com/toolbox/midi-inout-for-maxforlive/

to get access to sysex data "around" Live, instead of through it.

May 14, 2013 | 6:01 pm

Thanks Wetterberg, that’s sounds just like what I need. Thankyou very much for the heads-up

May 24, 2014 | 4:24 pm

any chance you could share your Roland Gaia patch? Would love to integrate my keyboard more closely. Thanks, Gen

May 24, 2014 | 5:18 pm

Sadly I’ve had some issues getting Leigh’s objects to working in 64 bit, the alternative I’ve come up with is to manage the sysex in/out in Max and build the control surface in M4L, syncing between these OSC. I actually find I prefer this system now for managing patch storage etc.

I’ve got controllers for the D-50, Alpha Juno 2, ESQ-1, DW8000 and a few others I use, I’ll post them when I get the chance.

May 28, 2014 | 2:16 am

I have no idea about M4L, I’m uses only Max. not sure this will help you.
when I work with SysEx I need to create patch like below

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Attachments:
  1. img1

June 4, 2014 | 8:35 am

hei brooke -
it’d be amazing (!) if you could post an exemplary patch of yours.
and: do you run your max-part of the sysex-code from within the max application or did you create a standalone device?
any clue which of the two is more performant?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)