Forums > Gen

[sharing is for asswipes] anaechowat?! (a unique delay made in gen~)

April 4, 2014 | 8:07 pm

HA! Hullo! sorry to pollute your forums recently. i’s just makin this thang and then distracting myself during breaks by getting too participatory sometimes.

but i swear! i have a productive contribution too! :D

This is an analog-esque stereo delay(with added windowing, ping-pong, noise-modulating source, and butterworth style filter options) built in gen~.

someone probably already posted this or many things exist like this already, but it was fun to build from scratch(errr… uh… at the sample-level in gen~ that is), hence fun to share.

was reading through Eric Lyon’s book:

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Objects-Computer-Digital-Series/dp/0895797151

as well as rereading the filter chapter in Charles Dodge:

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Music-Synthesis-Composition-Performance/dp/0028646827/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396667073&sr=1-1&keywords=charles+dodge

and Musimathics Vol. II by Gareth Loy.

I been gen~erating all sorts of crazy thangs thanks to these sources(Eric Lyon’s book came out before gen~ but is actually quite applicable to gen~ as well).

(edit-after-the-fact:
others in this series:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/sharing-is-for-asswipes-fart-noises-in-gen-aka-stutters-d/

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/sharing-is-for-asswipes-rms-thresh-slide-envelope-follower-in-gen/

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/sharing-is-for-asswipes-the-bin-amp-sustainerer/

)

Enjoy.

Attachments:
  1. AnaEchoWat.zip

April 5, 2014 | 12:19 am

Very nice, but that ping-ponging about was not good for my hangover :-)

April 5, 2014 | 1:19 am

Oh yes. I do like that you keep on polluting the forums – don’t stop!
That is indeed a lovely gen-erated share!

April 6, 2014 | 12:01 pm

@foldh ha, true, pingpong is much nicer on a hempover, then again if smoking weed is great for hangovers and pingpong is great for hempovers, and feeling great in general can sometimes lead back to drinking(out of celebration), then here we have the mathematical formula for perpetual surrealism :D

Thanks to both of you for checking it out! More to come in the future(got an pFFT one that delays/feedbacks bin energy(<- that’s just my nontechnical way of describing it :p) and sounds a lot like Eric Lyon’s thresher~… will post it eventually…). Cheers!

April 6, 2014 | 2:37 pm

this is exactly what I needed.

April 6, 2014 | 2:44 pm

It would be completely awesome if you could go into the gen~ and super-comment all the different elements in there, so I could grok this patch, Raja…

April 6, 2014 | 5:11 pm

this is the best i can do for ya.
the playback and recording stuff is my own math, not worth explaining…

the rest is encapsulated so you can pick out the parts(i also didn’t comment the ‘sinwindow’ subpatcher, basically it’s a sine envelope boosted by 8 so it clips an 1/8th of the way down the s-curve portions… like a trapezoid envelope with a slightly s-shaped curve… it goes to unity like a regular envelope but has a steeper-than-sine attack/release… again my own math(sounded fine to me for general purpose)… you might want to create something different there…)

most of the commenting is in the ‘butterworthlohipass’ subpatcher.

edit: uh… maybe some other things worth explaining – the data buffer is set at 96000 samples in length because sometimes i want 1 second of delay running at 96k, but many times i run at 48k, in which case, 2 seconds of delay is even better :D
…and there’s some extra crap near the freq input of mrs. butterworth <-;D
(moving-average filter (0.5*(x(n)+x(n-1)) to smooth fast freq changes… i might’ve created it wrong, but seems to work :p)

2ndedit: did you all know that you can’t put params inside a gen~ subpatcher? i was not aware but the error message in the max window made it instantly clear. it’s probably in the help doc somewhere… good to remember :)

3rdedit: and now i see i got sidetracked while adding ‘comment’ attributes to help explain the inlets… meh… i should move on, got alot of other tricks i need to try… hehe :)

hope it helps.

Attachments:
  1. AnaEchoWat1.zip

April 6, 2014 | 7:05 pm

raja is back to normal operation mode.

April 6, 2014 | 9:12 pm

For now >;D Muahahahaaa-*cough* *wheeze* *cough*-haha!
(trying to infuse a little more positivity into the mix of my general schizophrenia anyways)

edit:
re: "did you all know that you can’t put params inside a gen~ subpatcher?"
i didn’t explain that right… i meant inside a regular unsaved ‘gen’ subpatcher(from within the main gen~ patch)…
and now i see params in abstractions described here:

http://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?title=gen~_For_Beginners

didn’t realize… yet… creating inlets for the regular param object into the ‘gen’ subpatch, and not saving the abstraction, as i did in my second version of the patch posted just above, seems simpler(…then again… not so modular)… ah well… good to have options :)

May 30, 2014 | 12:02 pm

Nice work here Raja, as usual.
Wondering if you’d be okay letting me port this to a M4L device (full credit to you and your work, of course)? I’m looking to get into gen for some of my work, and starting from someone else’s hard work is always easier. Standing on the shoulders of giants and whatnot.

-E

June 30, 2014 | 5:09 am

Any chance for a windows version – I want to see

August 9, 2014 | 2:18 am

Hey sorry, didn’t see the windows version and m4l requests til now… But it’s just a gen~ patch so is probably just a matter of running windows version of max6-64-bit with gen~.
And all of this stuff is free to use in your own with or without credit(keep in mind they’re works in progress or starting ideas, you may find bugs…)
Cheers :)

(I don’t have notifications… Sorry if I tune out sometimes :p)

August 21, 2014 | 4:25 am

cant actually open the zipfile on windows

August 21, 2014 | 5:46 am

I couldnt open the zip either – i dont think windows likes the question mark in the folder name. If it can be made windows friendly, id be keen to check it out – raja – the patches you post are always brilliantly made.

August 21, 2014 | 1:20 pm

awww crap, i don’t have a windows machine anymore(so i was unable to see or understand the windows prob til now)…
at the bottom of this page, there seems to be a description of how to reenable zips on windows:

http://superuser.com/questions/594643/compressed-zipped-folders-no-longer-extract-properly

if that isn’t a good solution for you, feel free to guide me as to how to create a .zip on macosx10.9.4 that would be functional on windows as well?
(should i .rar(ify) it or somethin like that?)

edit: oh, just read the last post about the question mark, will try again… thanks!

August 21, 2014 | 1:33 pm

ok, try this one for windows(thanks again for letting me know @ernest and @daddymax… and sorry i didn’t understand you fully before @ehdyn ).

(edit-sidenote: i’m trying to figure out this website’s weird way of tagging names… apparently, it goes by the original username? (so i go to the user’s account page and look in the URL…) but is it just me or is that sometimes a little too…. uh… ‘email-out-in-the-open-and-exposed’? c74 should tell folks not to start new accounts with emails as the usernames, or figure out a way to reduce the exposure… but i will stop worrying about it now :D)

let me know if it still has probs(i should check the others in this series too…just checked: fartnoisesingen~ has the ’tilde’ at the end, but i’ve seen others use that(ex: "diracLE~"), so feel free to let me know if anyone has further probs and i’ll address it then).

August 21, 2014 | 1:48 pm

It’s working now..thank you for persisting-it does sound really good!
(BinAmp works fine, I haven’t tried the farting one yet)

August 21, 2014 | 2:24 pm

Stuttering patch is working as well.
Really excited about this one-theres this group out there http://www.speakdolphin.com ..and I’m thinking some of these carefully tuned farting noises and some well considered wavelet transforms will get us that much closer to the age-old dream of chatting up Cetaceans

August 21, 2014 | 2:39 pm

^HAHA! YESSS!
(ya, when i made the zipperstutter helpfile i found some settings i’d never dreamed a stutter could be used for, sounded very much like Cetacean lingo ;)

Glad you like! :)

August 21, 2014 | 2:52 pm

:) Glad you got it..my dry laffs don’t always translate well. I really do appreciate it and will use!
Maybe I do a mash-up between this and Roger Carruthers’ SAH’ing patch

Respect

August 22, 2014 | 6:27 am

This is a really impressive instrument. A cornucopia of delay, feedback,
and modulation. If people do what could be called "instrument remixes", include
your zips.

August 22, 2014 | 8:56 pm

Thanks @metaphorz :)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)