[mxj] JVM issue in osx 10.12 Sierra

Apr 14 2017 | 5:44 pm
    Hello all,
    I am running into an issue with [mxj]. I've installed the most recent versions of Java and the SDK (Java SE8).
    I'm trying to make an [mxj net.udp.receive] object, and whenever I instantiate it I get the following error:
    MXJ System CLASSPATH:
    /Applications/Max.app/Contents/Resources/C74/packages/max-mxj/java-classes/lib/jitter.jar
    /Applications/Max.app/Contents/Resources/C74/packages/max-mxj/java-classes/lib/jode-1.1.2-pre-embedded.jar
    /Applications/Max.app/Contents/Resources/C74/packages/max-mxj/java-classes/lib/max.jar
    IVirtual Machine boot
    MXJClassloader CLASSPATH:
    /Applications/Max.app/Contents/Resources/C74/packages/max-mxj/java-classes/classes/
    /Applications/Max.app/Contents/Resources/C74/packages/max-mxj/java-classes/
    Unable to create JVM
    I hope it's just my ignorance - anybody have any tips? I did a search and couldn't find any solutions. Thanks!
    -Nate

• Apr 14 2017 | 6:40 pm
      Hi Nate,
      You have to run Max in 64 bit mode in order to use the latest Java. You can do that by selecting the Max.app icon, pressing command+i (Get Info), and un-checking 'Open in 32 bit mode'.
      -Ben
    • Apr 14 2017 | 6:52 pm
      Thank you, Ben!
    • Sep 17 2017 | 2:10 pm
      yes thanks! ran into the same prob! ;)
    • Sep 26 2017 | 1:00 pm
      Are there any other pitfalls in sierra which prevent Java8 from Max working in Max? Java8 is installed, 32-bit unchecked but loading a java 8 built external still fails with "unsupported major.minor version 52.0" The external works on my Mavericks 10.9 machine
      [e] It always works. Post on the forum and immediately solve the problem yourself. The missing SDK was the issue.