[sharing] mutable instruments' plaits module (macro-oscillator)
Dec 30 2018 | 12:26 pm
hi - for anyone interested in running mutable instruments' plaits module inside maxmsp you can try out this new external. It's an alpha version built for macos. Feel free to report any bugs or problems you have to vboehm (at) gmx (dot) ch (not to mutable instruments!). This is a temporary link. As soon as we have a stable version, it will be released as a package (including source code). https://vboehm.net/xchange/vb.mi.plts~.zip This was possible because Olivier Gillet generously open sourced the complete code base of mutable instruments' module line - thank you very much, Olivier!
ps: rings and elements are in the making...
- Dec 30 2018 | 11:24 pmThat's great to hear !! Really looking forward to being able to get the stable version source code and compile it for windows ;)
- Jan 03 2019 | 11:13 amvery good work, this all sounds good. but the calibration of some knobs on some instruments react little weird. and considering the trig input, it looks for a gate which is not very practical nor precise. it would be nice that it could react to the trigger amplitude, allowing some dynamics. It would be so great to have access to the instruments in the form of codeboxes in gen, it would be perfect to tweak and tune it to my needs. I would rellay enjoy to cross-modulate two or more of these too, but with externals it's not possible to make feedback-loops with just one sample delay, or at least it's not as convenient than using History. beautiful work nonetheless and I'm looking forward to try your versions of rings and elementsedit : I noticed some fair amount of latency when in triggering mode.
- Jan 07 2019 | 9:17 am@bertrandfraysse - thx for your feedback!
but the calibration of some knobs on some instruments react little weird.is this in comparison to the original module or is it a more general assessment? In the first case, I would be interested to get more info about the actual differences, as I don’t have a unit myself to test it against. In the second case, you might be right, but right now I’m focussing on getting as close to the actual behaviour of the original module as possible, reguardless if some idiosyncrasies proof to be useful or not.
and considering the trig input, it looks for a gate which is not very practical nor precise.thanks - fixed. Have corrected it already for rings and elements, but forgot to change it in plaits.
It would be so great to have access to the instruments in the form of codeboxes in gen, it would be perfect to tweak and tune it to my needs.you might like to look at what @.quasar has posted already in this thread https://cycling74.com/forums/need-help-adapting-plaits'-grainlet-oscillator
- Sep 30 2019 | 8:30 amYes!
- Sep 30 2019 | 8:31 amHave you done this with Clouds by any chance : )
- Sep 30 2019 | 2:53 pmhi, i've done: plaits rings elements warps frames marbles braids (in the making...) ... but no clouds, so far.
- Oct 02 2019 | 9:09 pmAmazing! Should I go back in the forum for the other externals or is there a link to where they can be downloaded?
- Oct 04 2019 | 10:04 amlinks for plaits, rings and braids below. These are alpha versions for testing. the others need (even) more testing, documentation and decision making, before I can put them up. https://vboehm.net/xchange/vb.mi.plts~.zip https://vboehm.net/xchange/vb.mi.rngs~.zip https://vboehm.net/xchange/vb.mi.brds~.zip
- Oct 05 2019 | 10:24 pmPerfect thanks
- Nov 06 2019 | 11:09 pmWow these look great! Ill be watching for your updates. Has anyone done a OSX version of Marbles?
- Nov 19 2019 | 12:45 pmyes, but I'm still working on it.
- Dec 31 2019 | 3:48 pmjust realized that I started this thread pretty much 1 year ago - how time passes...well, if anyone is still following this, here is an alpha version of the clouds module: https://vboehm.net/xchange/vb.mi.clds~.zip
- Dec 31 2019 | 4:25 pmOoo, fancy. Thank you for sharing!
- Dec 31 2019 | 5:35 pmHaha... actually every project related in any way to programming is consuming more time than predicted. But I have to say, that I really appreciate your work and I’m keeping fingers crossed for further progress.
- Feb 21 2020 | 11:41 amHey ! Really enjoy the work you are putting into this project. I am myself getting bit stuck on a gen~ adaptation of the Bandlimited Wavetable Morphing Algo (clicks when morphing due to the integration / differentiation dsp process I guess). I might get around to it but in the mean time I wondered if you were kind enought to be willing to share the source code of your plaits external adaptation ?That would be great ;) Anyway it is no bother if you cannot !
- Feb 21 2020 | 5:00 pmWhat is the likelihood that this ever gets W10 support? :(
- Feb 24 2020 | 4:59 pmThis is awesome! I would love to see the entire mutable instruments collection in Max. I have been using VCVRack a lot lately. I was thinking about trying to port some of them to Max. This gives me inspiration. Thank you for your hard work!
- Feb 25 2020 | 7:23 pmI'll put the sources up on github asap. just need to find the time to clean up (most of) the mess... someone else can try a windows port from that - not me. btw the latest versions and work in progress can be found here from now on: https://vboehm.net/2020/02/mutable-instruments-max-port/
- Feb 25 2020 | 9:48 pmHi Volker, any chance that i can build this stuff for Windows? thanks
- Feb 29 2020 | 6:43 amHey Alfonso - I guess this shouldn't be a big problem. The code has not been optimized in any direction.
- May 15 2020 | 3:54 pmjust a quick heads up - current state of developement (including a few new objects) can be found here: https://vboehm.net/2020/02/mutable-instruments-max-port/and (finally!) sources on github: https://github.com/v7b1/vb.mi-devplease note: this is still WIP (including documentation, help files etc.) - so things might possibly chance (without notice...)
- Jul 09 2020 | 6:58 pmMac catalina M4L user here. trying to check out these externals but receiving "vb.mi.brds~: cannot be loaded due to system security policy" message in Max console. tried turning off Gatekeeper but that didn't help. does anyone have a workaround for this?
- Oct 30 2020 | 4:23 pmAre this Mac only?
- Apr 07 2021 | 11:43 amIf anyone achieve to build these wonderfull externals on windows, I would really happy to know how to do it... Sorry if my question looks stupid, but shouId I use the Min package to build it?Have a nice day everyone :)
- Apr 07 2021 | 12:49 pm
shouId I use the Min package to build it?no, if you clone the repository with --recurse-submodules a version of the max-api from here will be included. windows builds are completely untested right now and will very likely not work with out tuning. Should be possible to achieve in the future, though.
- Apr 07 2021 | 12:55 pmit would be nice to make gen versions of them, or some of them, did a bit but it's above my head
- May 14 2021 | 12:01 pmHey everyone, I'm still trying to build this on windows with no success.. :( If someone have done this, can I ask him to explain what we need to do?
- Jun 15 2021 | 9:58 pmI can't 100% guarantee all these will work (as I've no idea how to use them!) but I built these from Volker's Github page this afternoon using a wacky combination of msys and Visual Studio 2019 (and luck/naivety !).vb.mi.clds~ for sure definitely works as I used 'my' compiled .mxe64 as a successful drop in replacement for the 'mac only' external required for Nube to work (a max for live device using the Clouds module - https://bit-01.net/free/ )
- Dec 10 2021 | 2:33 pmDoes anyone know if these work in 64bit OSX Big Sur?I'm using them quite bit, but will likely be forced to upgrade soon... Thanks in advance
- Dec 10 2021 | 7:02 pmHere's a mac build of the externals that should support Apple silicon (M1) machines natively when running Max 8.2 and up.
- Dec 10 2021 | 7:06 pmThat's amazing - thanks Rob.I'll test them whenever my machine gets upgraded.