i trashed the preferences -- although i only started using max for the first time last week -- still crashing.
i've attached an image of the file browser search for 'vst' (picture1) - i assume this is what you mean by search path...
none of the vst plugins are showing up in the file browser either. i have added their folders to options>file preferences. however it is only when i type their name correctly (in a vst object) that max crashes - a spelling mistake results in the same as an empty vst~ object.
this is what is happening exactly: i create an object and type in it 'vst~' and then 'pluginname' and it crashes when i type in a plugin that i have. when i get the spelling of the plugin name wrong or leave it blank then max doesn't crash and i get the usual errors in the max window. i've also attached images of both the patch window (picture 4) and the max window (picture 5) with the objects created from top to bottom corresponding to the max window top to bottom. the final object is the one that crashes when i hit enter. also crashes when i load a vst plugin with the plug message and select it manually.
The vst plugin is DFX's 'Scrubby' (it's a free one):
I would like in on this loop seeing I am having success with certain vst devices. Any vst from Native Instruments works without a hitch. The light versions of Dimension Pro and Rapture work also. The 'z3ta+' works like a charm.
Problems with many other vsts though: Rapture and Dimension Pro full blown versions: Viral Outbreak based on the Wusik 5 engine too.
I hope this narrows down the problem a bit as to why some work without a hitch and others just crash the system.