Audio distortion


    Jan 19 2011 | 3:40 pm
    Hi all,
    I have a Max patch that sends midi messages to Kontakt, while Kontakt gives back sound to Max through Soundflower. My problem is that i'm experiencing very disturbing and lasting audio distortions - sometimes instantly on startup, some other times after a while. The strange fact is that it won't happen all the times: on a same exact setup everything can be fine for a couple of days, then go wrong again after few minutes, or an hour...!
    Interestingly, distortions disappear completely if i reset Max's vector size (eg. i work at 1024 when i suddenly hear distortions: i only change for a second vector size to 512 and then change it again to 1024: distortion disappears completely!)
    Some guys told me it could be due to asyncronicity between max's, soundflower's and kontakt's clocks. They suggested to find a way to have only one master clock and have the other ones acting as slaves.
    Is there a way to do that?
    And what do you think about this problem? Thanks a lot for any tip, greatly welcomed!

    • Jan 20 2011 | 12:29 am
      you are not alone. this is a common problem with soundflower. take a look at: http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/issues/detail?id=24
      personally, i have had better luck with jack: http://jackaudio.org/
      you might also want to look into audio hi-jack pro but it is not free.
    • Jan 20 2011 | 8:31 am
      it may probably have to do with midi. i was sending mid and audio from ableton to max respectively via midi cc and soundflower and i begun experiencing bad audio, clicks and all sort of cracks
      when i changed this, and start avoiding midi and using udpsend and udpreceive, it all worked a treat, and soundflower audio never had probs again
      tom
    • Jan 20 2011 | 5:20 pm
      thanks guys, I'll check that, but it's really upsetting you can't count on soundflower... it's such a usefull tool, i hoped there was a fix for that issue...