Big problem with broken Max/MSP patch


    Jun 27 2015 | 11:36 pm
    Hello everybody,
    I am quite new to Max/MSP and have a big problem. I have a concert on Wednesday and built a patch for the piece I want to play. Everything worked absolutely fine until yesterday, when I had the idea load it into the Max Runtime. I don't know why, but I got some error messages in the Runtime, which I never had in Max/MSP. It doesn't really matter, if it does not work in the Runtime, because in the first place, I want to play it myself and I can use Max7. The problem is, whenever I now load the patch into Max/MSP it seems to be broken. I get error messages and most of the functions in my patch do not work. Now I am completely desperate, because it has to work on Wednesday. I loaded other patches in Max7 and everything worked fine. It is only that patch for the concert, which I loaded in the Runtime, that now seems to be broken. I would really appreciate any help!
    - Chris

    • Jun 28 2015 | 10:41 am
      I would post the error messages, but they are gone. It seems, I fixed it by just copying all the content from the patch into a new one and saved it. Now everything works fine. I mainly use a buffer to record audio live and play it back during the piece, pitchshift~ and sfplay~ none of that worked correctly. I remember that there was an error message concerning the pfft~ object. I created an external patch for the fft and max was somehow unable to find that anymore. But as I said, for the moment it seems to be fixed. I think, I will try to play the patch with the runtime after the concert again to see if it will be broken again. I thought, maybe someone has also experienced these problems.
    • Jun 28 2015 | 1:29 pm
      Which Runtime are you talking about? Max 7 is its own Runtime.
    • Jun 28 2015 | 2:07 pm
      I was talking about the Max Runtime, which you can download separately and which does not require any subscription. I installed it besides the regular Max 7 version in case I just want to play patches without editing anything.
    • Jun 28 2015 | 2:46 pm
      Without more details, I'm just guessing here.
      One simple cause could be some issues with search paths. Max only loads patches from places it knows about. pfft~, for example, needs to find the patch that it loads. So if something moved or if the Runtime had different paths than the regular version, you might get errors because it can't find all the files it wants.
    • Jun 28 2015 | 4:01 pm
      also the seperate runtime version is max 6 not 7. there might be backwards compatibility problems, i.e. pitchshift~ does not exist in Max 6, plus the searchpath settings are most likely different and if you use projects and/or packages and/or externals they need to be set up for Max 6 seperately.