control blackmagic ATEM Television Studio switcher
Jan 11 2013 | 3:42 pm
Hello Max List,
I want to control blackmagic ATEM Television Studio switcher. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/products/atemtelevisionstudio/ It is an cheep and professinal hdmi switcher and mixer where blackmagic provides a sdk. I want to control it over ethernet, later ableton live.
Perhaps some of you did this before and can give me a hint or share some code. Dont want ton reinvent the wheel;-)
All the best, tt
- Jan 13 2013 | 4:40 pmI have a similar need to control ATEM(s) -- and have looked deeper into it.The official ATEM SDK doesn't document the TCP/IP or UDP calls for controlling the mixer directly through ethernet. Instead it provides the C++ libraries one needs to write a max external to do the job. Therefore one will need to volunteer to write the external, or I personally would be interested in paying for this object. I will post to the DEV section of the forums and see if there is any interest.meanwhile, there has been some effort in other software, hardware platforms to make cheap controllers or custom software. You can sift through the atemuser site more info http://atemuser.com/Johnny DeKam
- May 14 2013 | 10:31 am
- Jun 13 2014 | 1:03 amI am interested in controlling my ATEM switcher and tested ofAtem, but it doesn't seem to work with the current version of the Blackmagic software. I contacted the softer designer but he doesn't respond. Anyone else have this working?
- Dec 22 2015 | 10:45 pmHi, Any news of controlling ATEM within Max ? Thx.
- Dec 22 2015 | 10:53 pmI have contacted Cycling '74 and I think they are going to work on it for the Max community. No confirmation yet, but it sounds positive.
- Jul 17 2017 | 4:58 pmdid anyone successfully run ofAtem on a current mac/atem television studio hd combo? ofAtem crashes on startup for me..
- Jul 17 2017 | 10:01 pmI am certain it hasn't been kept up with ATEM's sdk, or current OS etc, but it ran pretty good back in the dayJohnny
- Jul 20 2017 | 11:31 pmI don't have an ATEM to try, but investigated its control possibilities and found the following information that might be helpful: https://www.buechele.cc/blog/2013/2/5/atemosc-a-osc-bridge-to-control-atem-switchers https://github.com/danielbuechele/atemOSC
- Jul 21 2017 | 12:21 amI have used both ofATEM and atemOSC and prefer the latter for more control with my ATEM Television Studio. https://www.buechele.cc/blog/2013/2/5/atemosc-a-osc-bridge-to-control-atem-switchers. It works great with Max. No problems at all for the past couple of years.
- Jul 23 2017 | 12:40 amthank you ! got atemOSC working perfectly! :)
- Jul 23 2017 | 1:11 amThat's great! Let me know how it works for you. Randall
- Oct 29 2017 | 10:23 pmI've tried controlling the ATEM 2 M/E with both atemOSC and ofAtem. I was able to successfully connect to it and change main parameters in the Switcher section. If I monitor the OSC input, I can see the incoming messages arriving in Max when I operate the BlackMagic ATEM Software Control. But when I change from the Switcher to the Audio section, none of the parameters I change (volume, pan, on/off, ...) are transmitted via OSC. Is this a problem of missing functionality in these bridges (atemOSC and ofAtem) due to their lack of updates?I'm using the 7.2 version of the software.
- Oct 29 2017 | 10:45 pmIt would be ideal if Cycling '74 could create an object for the ATEM Switchers. I spoke to David Zicarelli about it and he seemed interested. Is anyone form Cycling '74 reading this thread?
- Dec 22 2017 | 8:11 pmI'm very much in support of any ATEM development in max. At the moment, I'm using atemOSC to switch between alpha masks as well as six camera inputs. The limitations of atemOSC's OSC implementation mean that I must first load the media onto the ATEM with their program, and also I can't change the fill source for the mask. I've looked at the SDK and I'm hoping to get someone to help orient me regarding how to implement further OSC functionality.As for an external for all of this, that'd be wonderful!
- Dec 23 2017 | 12:27 pmThanks for your update. Let me know if you make any improvements to atemOSC, which I use regularly in my work. One of these days the ATEM software will make this patch obsolete, so hopefully someone, if not Cycling '74, will take the initiative.Best, Randall
- Dec 23 2017 | 4:40 pmYeah, I feel the same way, that I'm locked into this setup [ATEM TVStudio/ATEM Software Control v6.0/atemOSC v.2.4.2]. As long as they keep releasing SDKs for all their switchers, then there will always be a way forward with new hardware and software. What we need is a good, active github page. I'm just not sure how many people are working with this gear for interactive purposes, and I don't know how to find out. justmacros.tv is another route that seems more aimed at automation and church-related affairs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMf_FnVm0uI), and I wonder if this is more appealing to people than using it with OSC.It seems like the primary consumer base for these switchers and the interest in OSC are youtube channel people-- those that go it alone and can't afford the assistant and the actual control consoles. I'm pretty sure its more of them than artists, which is fine, but there should be some way to reach out to them to get involved and help maintain a github page. Probably the best thing is to reach out to Daniel Buechele. He was very helpful and responsive a couple years back, and I bet he has a better sense of what sort of people and how many are using this stuff.I might be missing something, though.