Hey all.. :)
I'm trying to spec out a real-time video project, and some friends suggested I look into Jitter. The processing seems pretty straightforward, but I have only basic experience with MAX/MSP. If anyone comments on whether this is feasible in Jitter, I'd be really happy.
The project is basically to 'speed up a party in realtime.' So I'll take a surveillance camera looking over a party, speed it up by 5X, and output it to a TV at the party. So for instance, if the camera has been filming for 5 minutes, it would playback in 1 minute. At the end of the minute of fast playback, it would then play the 6 minutes that have elapsed in 1 minute and 12 seconds or so. So it would keep repeating, getting longer and longer.
I've looked through some tutorials, and I see how to speed up playback. But the devil is in the details--so any suggestions would be lovely.
I've tried to break up the project in 5 parts:
1. Video from a surveillance camera is positioned over a crowded party. The camera uses a video RCA out (which I'm still trying to figure out how to connect to MAX... I think I need to borrow my friend's G5 with the vid card). But let's say I use an iSight to make it easy
2. I'd want to capture all the footage from the party (say 4 hours worth). so, I imagine that I take incoming footage and put it in a buffer. Let's call it the 'capture buffer.' (Does Jitter work like this?)
3. Once the footage has begun recording, I'd want to copy the capture buffer to another 'playback buffer' , which is sent to playback, sped up by 5 times. (I saw the tutorial on speeding up video, but it seems like I have to save the video as a file first. is that right?)
4. At the end of the playback buffer I'd want to copy the capture buffer again (which would now be longer, having captured more footage during the playback) and send it to the playback buffer. So, the footage would be replayed again, at 5 times speed, but go a little bit longer.
5. Ideally this repetitive, sped up footage of the party would be outputted to a TV. That way people can watch a sped up version of the party they are at on TV. :)
Again, any suggestions or references would be super. Thank you!