Drum machine issues


    Feb 18 2006 | 5:29 pm
    Hi
    I'm sure this applies to most patches, but I can't think of a way around it - My patch will be absolutely enormous if I continue as I am! I hope what I am about to explain makes sence.
    I need to insert a variable number into a message. At the moment I have to copy every sub patcher for every sample number (what I call a 'lane'), changing all the instances of a 'lane' number in every single patch.
    For example, I'm sending individual velocities for each step of each lane like so:
    I need the "1" of "lane1" to be a variable:
    send lane1_step_velocity1
    ...
    send lane1_step_velocity16
    send lane8_step_velocity1
    ...
    send lane8_step_velocity16
    Add to this decays for each step, and envelopes for each step, and my patch is already enormous at 3 lanes. Also if I want to change anything I have to change it for all eight lanes!
    Would really appreciate some help.
    Toby

    • Feb 18 2006 | 5:45 pm
      i don't thonk i completely understand, but perhaps poly(~)?
      maybe post a patch...
    • Feb 18 2006 | 5:59 pm
      Instead of naming lane1_step, lane2_step, etc. Just use #1-lane_step
      using an abstraction instead of a subpatcher.
      Peter McCulloch
    • Feb 18 2006 | 6:05 pm
      Hi Toby,
      you need to use abstractions, not subpatchers, and # changeable arguments.
      for abstractions look at the "max 4.5 tutorials and topics" manual,
      Tutorial 27, (your object); for # arguments look at page 417
      (Arguments: $ and #, Changeable Arguments to Objects)
      m
      --
      HomePage: http://www.giri.it
      Computer Music Italian Forum http://www.virtual-sound.com
    • Feb 20 2006 | 10:21 pm
      I find Open Sound Control to be very handy when organizing this many parameters. You can build a heirarcical name space and use OSC-route to parse things the properly. Also there are wildcard characters that can be handy.
      see:
      OSC, it's not just for networking.
      mzed