So I got me a pair of DDrum drum triggers (one for kick and one for snare) and they are nice and sturdy little guys.
My plan is run them into my soundcard as audio, and then use onset detection in Max to generate the trigger data (to avoid having a separate brain/power thing to deal with.)
The problem I'm running in to is that the triggers are sensitive enough, and the drums are close enough, that they are triggering each other. I'm trying all sorts of stuff with filter each input before the onset detection, but I can't get it to trigger consistently and independently.
Below is the best I've gotten so far. It works fine for loud independent hits, but when there are variable dynamics it's not working too hot.
Attached is an (mp3) recording of the triggers in various dynamics etc..