Generative 'barcodes' in jitter

    Jun 26 2011 | 10:03 am
    Hey all!
    I'm writing a piece at the moment with 4 performers and would like to be able to control what they play using barcode-like images to act as a kind of improvisational score for them. So the question is, is it possible to create these in jitter generatively and have the number and width of lines vary over time?
    Thanks in advance!

    • Jun 27 2011 | 1:39 am
      This may or may not be what your looking for but it is the first thing that comes to mind from the description. Uses LCD, but also possible in Jitter.
      Sounds like a fun piece!
    • Jun 27 2011 | 4:12 am
    • Jun 27 2011 | 12:18 pm
      Thanks guys, those both look great! But what I was hoping for was something that would constantly draw and erase lines over the duration of the piece, I should have made that clearer, my bad! It's been suggested to me that could probably do what I'm after but I've not been able to get it to work so far. Thanks for the help and advice!
    • Jul 06 2011 | 12:50 am
      I just took what Dobrian did and added a metro so that it constantly redraws... the speed of the metro will control how fast it redraws.
      you could use to do something similar, but i don't see any advantages to doing it that way.
    • Jul 07 2011 | 12:27 pm
      Thanks everyone! I've managed to modify Nate's suggestion by adding variable number control to both of the random objects in the patch - I've also got it so that when either of the numbers change, it rebangs for a fresh image. I'm controlling the numbers through the arudinome I built which has tilt control, so that left/right increases and decreases the line thickness, and forward/back increases/decreases the amount of lines. It's a bit of a cheat because, as I understand what's happening with the amount of lines, I'm simply pushing them off the visible window to get fewer of them, but it looks like it's doing what I was after so I'm happy :)
      I'm now implementing live granular synthesis for the 4 performers, also to be controlled using my arduinome. So it's all coming along great!
      Thanks again for all your help!