So I just bought an enttec dmx usb pro and the "dmxusbpro" object, hoping to use them with the new DMaX patches inside Ableton. I got my 4 other Chauvet lights to work awesomely (2x Colorstrip, 2x LED shadows), but the last light on my chain (the American DJ Triphase LED) is not working. Maybe this is just a simple DMX misunderstanding on my part, but I am only able to control channel 2 of the Triphase effects (it has 4 channels total: 1-color, 2-rotation, 3-strobe, 4 dimmer). And it only seems to work when I change the address on the unit to 1 (which is the same address all my other lights are on). So all I get is to change how fast the mirrors spin, but I can never actually get the light to come on. I have been able to temporarily force the lights to turn on by sending the messages "refresh 40" followed by "startcode 0" but then when I send any other dmx control information to my other lights it cuts out again. What am I doing wrong?
So far, I have just been trying to use the DMaX collection inside live, but I'd almost rather just build my own interface from scratch using the dmxusbpro object so I can familiarize myself with how everything works. I am not opposed to using OLA however, but the most recent version that I downloaded seems to be slightly different then how it is described in the DMaX documentation, so I'm afraid I'm not doing everything correctly, and I will probably need some more help setting that up.
But for now, can anyone just help me set up the Triphase LED just using the dmxusbpro object? I'll forget about the other lights, and focus on just being able to control this one on all 4 channels, so then I can go back and add the other 4. Here are some troubleshooting questions that might help you answer my problem...
- Is it possible to control all 3 different light fixture types (i.e. 2xColorstrips, 2xLEDShadows, 1xTriphaseLED) and all of their respective channels using just one dmxusbpro object. If not that is probably the source of my problem.
- I'm still not clear on the difference between "address" and "channel". The enttec says it sends DMX over 512 channels, but I have to set my lights to a fixture address between 1 and 512. Are the 512 "channels" equivalent to the 512 fixture addresses that I set on my lighting units. If so, then how do I control the 4 "channels" of control that I have on for instance my TriphaseLED. If I have the address set to 33, does that mean that the 4 possible control channels (color, rotation, strobe and dimmer) are laid out on channels 33, 34, 35 and 36? I guess I'm still confused between the difference between "fixture address" DMX channel and the channels of control specific to each lighting unit.
- I guess most of this confusion is because I'm upgrading from a physical controller (the Chauvet Obey 40) to this max object. On the Obey 40, I had each different light type on a separate fixture address. The color strips were set to address 1, the LED shadows were on 17 (fixture address 2) and the Triphase were on 33 (fixture address 3). This allowed me to use the eight faders to control each individual effect for each individual light. That's exactly what I want to do with the dmxusbpro object but I guess I still don't understand how to access these individual parameters, how many objects I need to use, and how to set up specific faders for specific controls. Could anyone help me replicate what I was doing with the Obey 40 by what I described above? I just need to know
- what addresses to set on the units themselves
- how to set up the dmxusbpro objects, and how many of them I need
- how to access individual channels of control on each light (colorstrips use 2 channels, LED shadows use 2 and the Triphase uses 4)
Thanks a million!