How to control Max Msp with Touch Osc

    May 08 2013 | 1:56 pm
    I am having problems controlling Max with Touch OSc. I am running Max on a Mac book Pro OSX10.8.3 and using the 'simple - send - receive' patch for Max and Touch OSC v.1.8.1 on an Iphone 4s with iOS 6.1.3. At the moment, when I adjust faders etc in Max, the corresponding fader moves on my phone in Touch OSC. However, when I adjust the fader on the phone the Max faders on the computer do not move. Basically, it's running backwards! Please help!

    • May 08 2013 | 3:28 pm
      Are you sure the port on your iPhone is the same as the port set in Max?
    • May 09 2013 | 12:56 am
      Since the connection from Max to TouchOSC is working, check to make sure the outgoing port number in TouchOSC matches the port number on udpreceive in Max.
    • May 09 2013 | 8:24 am
      Thought I'd chip in here as I was working on this with lomz. Yes, we checked the outgoing and incoming ports and tried swapping them around. The communication was just one way - from Max to Iphone.
      We are using the mix-16-send-and-receive example from
      I'm going to try this on another setup later today, but it would be good to know if anyone has any ideas? Perhaps it's the port number? Is there a way of checking which ports are going to work, and is this specific to each device?
    • May 09 2013 | 10:35 am
      Hi Mark,
      In my setup (with an iPad), i'm using port 8000 as the outgoing port on the iPad, and 5001 for the incoming. And maybe i'm stating the obvious here, but make sure you've set the host I.P. in your Touch OSC to match the I.P. address stated in your network preferences on your computer. That's technically all there is, i'm afraid....
    • May 09 2013 | 10:56 am
      And if everything is correct from the network's context, perhaps that patch uses the osc-route object from CNMAT and you don't have it installed. Check the max window for troubleshooting feedback.
    • May 09 2013 | 12:28 pm
      Thanks for the replies,
      Pedro, osc-route could well be the problem as this was a fairly new install of Max. I should have thought to check that! Will look into it.