Senior Firmware Engineer
Keith McMillen Instruments (KMI) develops innovative hardware and software technologies that allow musicians to interface with computers in exciting new ways. Based in Berkeley, California, KMI provides today's musicians with the tools needed to bring new dimensions of expression and control to their performance. We believe when a computer is played as a musical instrument it should feel and respond like one, with all the nuance and sensitivity that makes an instrument musical.
We are looking for a firmware engineer to help with research and development in several exciting new and ongoing electronic instrument projects. The projects that we work on require collaboration with teams working across multiple engineering fields in order to ship robust completed products to consumers world wide.
You will work directly with Keith and senior staff to develop concepts and prototypes into finished, shippable products. Working hours will come with some degree of flexibility. This is an senior level position, but compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Ability to design and execute fully functional embedded C projects from start to finish
- Experience working with 8-bit microcontrollers
- Experience working with analog sensor data
- Willingness to pick up in progress projects and build off of others’ code
- Knowledge of MIDI protocol and general understanding of electronic music tools and techniques
- Good record keeping/documentation practices and strong communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- Debugging analog and digital circuits
- Direct experience with Silabs 8051 firmware
- TH and SMT soldering experience
- Ability to interpret 2D and 3D design files in various formats (.ai, .sldprt, .sldasm)
The KMI Team values diversity in experience and expertise. We believe in results and working products, regardless of individual background.
We offer a friendly, inclusive environment in West Berkeley with competitive salary, benefits, and workplace perks. If this sounds like an opportunity you are interested in, we'd love to hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org