Max 8 coming in the second quarter of 2018

Nov 02 2017 | 8:46 pm
    We are planning to release a Max 8 upgrade in the second quarter of 2018 with many performance and workflow improvements that we will begin to detail in the coming months. Learn a little more about it here: https://cycling74.com/products/new-max-version-8/

• Nov 02 2017 | 10:11 pm
      One question on the built in Max in Ableton Live. Does that mean when I use Max as separate application and Max For Live, I have to install Max AND a probably much larger Ableton Live? In times where hard drive capacities due to SSD technology are shrinking again that'll be a real bummer...
    • Nov 02 2017 | 11:24 pm
      @JAN
      With Live 10, a version of Max to be used as the Max For Live editor will be bundled into the Live app, so you will not need to install anything else to just get started with Max For Live. However, Max will still be developed and released separately from Live, so Max users who also use Live will likely want a separate Max install.
      We will be sharing more details about the Max 8 upgrade in the coming months.
    • Nov 02 2017 | 11:55 pm
      thanks ben Will runtime versions be possible ? As a programmer , I do not care for Ableton @ all.
      thanks
      phiol
    • Nov 02 2017 | 11:59 pm
      @PHIOL Not sure that this is what you mean, but we have no plans to get rid of the ability to build Max standalones.
    • Nov 03 2017 | 12:05 am
      yup that is what I mean't :-) Great news !!!
    • Nov 03 2017 | 8:56 am
      Maybe a premature question, but was just having a reccie about potential upgrade prices for Max7→Max8
      On the shop page, it states:
      • Full Version $399 Own Max 7 forever, no restrictions, and you will get Max 8 for free.
      • Own a previous version of Max? UPGRADE FOR $149
      Is that a 'Max 8 for free' retroactive to current Max 7 owners or just new buyers? Or is there likely to be a cut-off date or version limit for the upgrade policy?
      Thanks!
    • Nov 03 2017 | 9:50 am
      @BEN
      Thank you for the explanation. It's great, that Max is so boldly expanding.
      But I have a question about this new model of the Max-inside-Live integration: as MaxMSP user and Live user I'll be keeping two copies of Max on my computer ([1] bundled into the Live and [2] "standalone"), am I right? If yes, how would the package (and third party externals) management look like?
    • Nov 03 2017 | 12:22 pm
      I had a feeling that was coming! Is someone able to tell me how much the basic UI (as in patcher window, appearance of objects etc.) has changed/is likely to change this time around? The reason I ask is that I make a lot of educational screencasts using Max. The rather drastic changes to the UI in Max 5, 6 and 7 had meant pretty much redoing all of them, since the very different 'look' in each version would really throw students otherwise.
      That might sound like a complaint, but it's not. Really just trying to weigh up whether to hold out on making some new materials until the new version is out.
    • Nov 03 2017 | 12:55 pm
      Good news. This post is a tease though, as the link you give isn't so detailed. Looking forward to hearing what new things we can look forward to. I sincerely hope theres more help, examples and documents for the gen/ pix side of things, as years after it was released im still taking baby steps.
    • Nov 03 2017 | 1:17 pm
      @TEAM TANDOT : The cutoff is detailed on the link - upgrade to version 8 is free for purchases made beginning November 2, 2017.
      @DADDYMAX: Sorry, we don't mean to tease! We decided that since Max 8 technology is being used in Ableton Live 10, it would make sense to let Max users know there is more coming for them, too.
    • Nov 03 2017 | 6:36 pm
      Great news ! One question though : the announcement says In order to make it easier for the Max for Live user, Ableton is now including a version of Max inside the Live application. (Previously it was a separate download.) The version of Max 8 bundled inside Live 10 will not affect your use of either Max 7 or Max for Live in older versions of Live.
      Does that mean that devices created / saved within Live 10 are backwards compatible and can be opened with Live 9 / Max 7 ?
    • Nov 03 2017 | 6:59 pm
      Thanks @Lilli for the clarification. We've had a good few years with Max 7 so a paid upgrade path doesn't seem unreasonable for a new version.
    • Nov 03 2017 | 8:01 pm
      regarding Inbuilt mfl/live would be cool to know more details on performance improvement. latency and stuff?
    • Nov 04 2017 | 12:44 am
      Is it a safe assumption that the upgrade price for full version users of Max 7 to Max 8 will be $149 like it was from 6 to 7?
    • Nov 06 2017 | 11:35 pm
      We decided that since Max 8 technology is being used in Ableton Live 10, it would make sense to let Max users know there is more coming for them, too.
      something deep inside me noticed the order of these release dates.
    • Nov 07 2017 | 4:20 am
      @roman what did you expect. way passed the due date for grudges now :-)
    • Nov 07 2017 | 11:35 am
      @ben torton : this change alone is highly unlikely to affect latency
      Yaniki is raising a good point here - i foresee some hardly findable trouble with externals and config files
    • Nov 08 2017 | 5:39 pm
      Any chance of supporting ES6 in the 8 update?
    • Nov 09 2017 | 3:12 pm
      yay! sexy logo
    • Nov 14 2017 | 8:50 pm
      It is a good logo. Sell some merch with that on it. The last round of merch I saw that had the objects on them (drunk/ anal/ metro/etc) had an esoteric charm, but weren't wonderful designs, and could lead non-nerds to (possibly) erroneous conclusions about the wearer.
    • Nov 15 2017 | 4:25 pm
      Is there any news on new or deprecated functions, could be kind of handy to know in advance which things to avoid while developing.
    • Nov 15 2017 | 7:37 pm
      Will Max 8 run on Linux?