Max4Live Sliders and CPU LOAD

    Oct 26 2011 | 10:07 am
    Hello Everyone, I am posting this here as I am struggling to find support at Ableton.
    I am experiencing unusual CPU peaks when using a Max4Live device I have created. The Device contains 3 live sliders and a udpsend object to transfer via OSC the data to MAx/MSP.
    After investigation I am guessing that the CPU peaks are related to the way LIVE handles sliders data:
    WIthout using any audio file, if I run the patch I have attached to this post, on my computer which is a
    MAc Book Pro Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz 8 GB RAM
    It goes immediately into peak, as soon as automation data is produced.
    So I guessed it could be the UDP object causing problems. On the second Live Set attached, I have removed the udpsend Object form the devices, and still the cpu for 12 Sliders is 65%,it is stable, but it is very high indeed, for a computer fairly powerful as the one I am using.
    This means that working with any audio file, or audio processing, could become impossible.
    I am really stuck with this, I cleaned my devices and made it so simple, that I cannot think of any simpler. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanx you.

    • Mar 06 2012 | 9:49 pm
      small bump, have the same problem here. using pattr - pattrstorage objects to morph presets from either midi or UDP coming in. I experience spikes in CPU and more alarmingly, the CPU load seems to "stick" at high percentages. this of course causes clicks in audio.
      I have no idea what causes this, there isn't even audio going on.
    • Mar 06 2012 | 10:29 pm
      solution has been found for me. spikes in CPU are mostly given by the update time of objects like sliders or the one u use most in your patches.
      I had sliders set on 1 millisec refresh. I just needed two of them to send the cpu up to 130%
      i then set the update rate (you can set it from inspector) to 100 millisec and it works a treat. I can use 20 sliders and cpu i still 10 %
      i think this could help.
      (thanx to Andrew B for this hint)
    • Mar 06 2012 | 10:31 pm
      to be more precise, spikes in cpu are given by objects refresh/update time and concurring factors like udp , osc transmission and midi as well for me, fixing the objects update time was enough