middle and side to xy conversion


    Jan 16 2008 | 5:42 pm
    hi
    can anybody help convert my ms mics to xy? i thought there was a patch somewhere, but can't find it anywhere. ms and xy aren't the nicest items to do a searc for either ; ) thanks!
    isjtar

    • Jan 16 2008 | 6:01 pm
      would like to help...
      What exactly is an MS mic?
    • Jan 16 2008 | 6:24 pm
      I haven't tested it out, as I have no ms mic handy, but this should work. All you need to do to matrix the ms signals to xy is add the mid mic to the side mic (for left channel) and to the side mic after phase inversion (for the right channel). This abstraction does that, and gives you variable width control by altering the level of the side mic.
      Hope it helps. Let me know if it does/doesn't work, or if you have questions.
      On Jan 16, 2008, at 10:42 AM, isjtar wrote:
      > hi > > can anybody help convert my ms mics to xy? > i thought there was a patch somewhere, but can't find it anywhere. > ms and xy aren't the nicest items to do a searc for either ; ) > thanks!
      ---- Steven M. Miller Professor, Contemporary Music Program College of Santa Fe
      Home SFIFEM Atrium Sound Space OVOS CMP
    • Jan 16 2008 | 6:35 pm
      ms stands for "mid-side" and refers to mics that have an element that "looks" straight ahead and two that "look" to the side. when decoded correctly - don't ask me to explain that process, do a search for mid- side - one can manipulate the stereo image in very cool and interesting ways, with control over width, etc. cheers b
      On Jan 16, 2008, at 1:01 PM, seth wrote:
      > > would like to help... > > What exactly is an MS mic? > > >
      bruce tovsky www.skeletonhome.com
      "Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane." Philip K. Dick
    • Jan 16 2008 | 6:59 pm
      ah : ) middle and side. it's a different way for doing stereo recordings instead of xy or ab. the middle is a cardioid, the side figure of 8, you place them vertically stacked. you need to apply a formula to convert it to normal stereo. it has some advantages like you can control the width of the image with the respective volumes. a bit of a hassle for monitoring and converting though. it's used a lot in film btw
      On Jan 16, 2008, at 7:01 PM, seth wrote:
      > > would like to help... > > What exactly is an MS mic? > > >
    • Jan 16 2008 | 11:40 pm
      Steven Miller schrieb: > I haven't tested it out, as I have no ms mic handy, but this should > work. All you need to do to matrix the ms signals to xy is add the mid > mic to the side mic (for left channel) and to the side mic after phase > inversion (for the right channel). This abstraction does that, and gives > you variable width control by altering the level of the side mic. > > Hope it helps. Let me know if it does/doesn't work, or if you have > questions.
      I guess its the wrong patch, I'd do it like that: (fits to your description including "haven't tested but should work"...)
      -- Stefan Tiedje------------x------- --_____-----------|-------------- --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()------- -- _|_)----|-----()-------------- ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
    • Jan 17 2008 | 12:34 am
      On Jan 16, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
      > I guess its the wrong patch, I'd do it like that: (fits to your > description including "haven't tested but should work"...) > >
      Yes, except that you need to invert the side before adding to the mid rather than subtract the mid from the side, unless you then invert the combined signal again (in order to maintain mono compatibility, a hallmark of the MS technique).
      The added benefit of my patch is that there's no (or at least greatly reduced) zipper noise, due to use of line~, etc., in the fader subpatch. Yours will have noise on incoming level discontinuities. You're right, however, I can simplify mine slightly by rearranging the fader and inverter and then removing one fader subpatch.
      BTW - my fader subpatch has other capabilities unused in the current patch - it's a straight copy of a more general purpose fader abstraction I use regularly.
      What did you mean by "I guess it's the wrong patch"?
      ---- Steven M. Miller Professor, Contemporary Music Program College of Santa Fe
      Home SFIFEM Atrium Sound Space OVOS CMP
    • Jan 17 2008 | 7:35 am
      Steven Miller schrieb: > Yes, except that you need to invert the side before adding to the mid > rather than subtract the mid from the side
      but I subtracted the side from the mid which is the same as inverting and adding... I'd rather leave the side level control outside of the abstraction, as it would eat cycles even if you don't want to fiddle with it, as well as the 1/sqrt2 level adaption which should be necessary to keep the levels...
      Stefan
      -- Stefan Tiedje------------x------- --_____-----------|-------------- --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()------- -- _|_)----|-----()-------------- ----------()--------www.ccmix.com
    • Jan 17 2008 | 12:36 pm
      thanks gentlemen, not bad : )
      On Jan 17, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
      > Steven Miller schrieb: >> Yes, except that you need to invert the side before adding to the >> mid rather than subtract the mid from the side > > but I subtracted the side from the mid which is the same as > inverting and adding... I'd rather leave the side level control > outside of the abstraction, as it would eat cycles even if you > don't want to fiddle with it, as well as the 1/sqrt2 level adaption > which should be necessary to keep the levels... > > Stefan > > -- > Stefan Tiedje------------x------- > --_____-----------|-------------- > --(_|_ ----|-----|-----()------- > -- _|_)----|-----()-------------- > ----------()--------www.ccmix.com > >