MIRA Automatic Scripting Name Assignment (!?)


    Feb 23 2014 | 3:42 pm
    This drove me Insane for hours last night.
    Couldn't figure out why objects were being given generic names (flonum, flonum[1], ...).
    I blamed that poor little [autopattr (@autoname 0)], who was entirely innocent.
    Turns out that mira.frame, (understandably, predictably, obviously) auto-assigns Scripting Names to all objects it supports if they are not already named.
    Fine, no hard feelings, MIRA.... But this is a problem when I only want to use the very specifically assigned Scripting Names in a Umenu, for routing purposes with pattrstorage, and dont want 500 'flonum[i]' clogging up my ipad screen.
    Any suggestions for how to circumvent this?

    • Jan 19 2015 | 7:37 am
      I'm also struggling with this problem.
      Any solution?
    • Feb 02 2016 | 12:15 am
      I've hit this problem in a slightly different setup (no mira). My work around is to attach a [loadmess varname] to any objects I want to exclude from pattr.
    • Mar 04 2016 | 4:19 am
      Glad to have discovered the answer to this. Not sure I agree with the "understandably, predictably, obviously" part.
      \M
    • May 11 2016 | 7:46 pm
      Well.... I figure mira needs some way to differentiate between objects, and if you don't give them a name it will.
      And, BTW, for anyone who was concerned about this for the reason I was (trying to use the contents of patter to load umenus for routing, as in the Andrew Benson video processing system example), if I recall, I just did some regex thing to ignore anything stored which I didn't name myself.