my gater stopped working


    Sep 16 2010 | 7:57 pm
    Hi,
    I am looking for some help on my gater I made for a M4L application. I tried to attach the patch to this message, hope this works.
    What I am trying to do is fairly simple: a midi track in Live sends a note over the IAC bus that is received by Live again and arrives at an audio track where this patch is inserted. It gates the audio according to the MIDI.
    I had it all working, and it still does as long as the patch is open in edit and live preview mode in Max, but when I close it to return to Live, there is no output anymore.
    There is a "live.button" attached to the "notein" that stops being banged in this case.
    Does the notein need additional parameters?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    K9

    • Sep 16 2010 | 8:37 pm
      I didn't look at the patch, but I think you should be using [midiin] attached to [midiselect]. I don't believe that the native objects that normally work in Max will function the same in m4l.
      Cheers.
    • Sep 16 2010 | 9:31 pm
      thanks I'll look into that.
      weird that it was working before though -- can't figure out what broke it.
    • Sep 16 2010 | 9:41 pm
      hm, seems like I'm doing something wrong. the combination of midiin -> midiselect -> unpack of leftmost outlet gives me nothing...
      what could be the problem? this isn't even banging in a normal Max patch, even when the "notein (middle outlet) -> bang" does bang..
      again thanks for any help
    • Sep 17 2010 | 1:17 am
      Is [plugmidiin] what you are looking for?
      Connect it to [midiparse] (not midiselect)
    • Sep 17 2010 | 8:15 am
      no, unfortunately that doesn't work either. I am beginning to think my problem is more fundamental. I am putting the plugin into the audio-track -- after all I want to gate the audio.
      I use another track set to "MIDI to" IAC bus. Another MIDI-track receives this, but my aforementioned audio-track does not.
      so far so good.
      But I had it working yesterday. Only when I needed it (in a theater play run through, of course) it failed me.
      I could render the whole thing in Max but want to be able to modify the tempo of the gate from 70-170 bpm -- so getting this to work would be a huge improvement..
      I'd appreciate if someone who knows more about M4L could look at my patch and tell about my mistakes in setting things up. I feel like I am overlooking something silly...
      Thank you!
      K9
    • Sep 17 2010 | 9:45 am
      Your problem is that M4L audio devices by design can't receive midi.
      But since you are on mac, the solution is here.
    • Sep 17 2010 | 2:31 pm
      thank you. another thing to try out. And time for a petition for this cause to Cycliton...
    • Sep 18 2010 | 9:40 am
      Search maxforlive.com. Someone did exactly that using send and receive.
    • Sep 18 2010 | 11:12 am
      Send/Receive can only be used if accurate timing doesn't matter.
      As confirmed from the developers, it introduces unpredictable latency.