NeuroSky BrainWave Starter Kit Patches
Jan 28 2014 | 3:42 am
I am a senior music student in Massachusetts, and this semester I am working in a MAX lab to develop new music plugins for NeuroSky's BrainWave Starter Kit. I was wondering if you guys knew of anything out there -- patchers, plugins, external devices, that will be useful in this project, more specifically to read the NFS data and represent it in a clean and clear manner.
Let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks so much,
- Jun 07 2015 | 10:51 pmDid you have any luck with this? - R
- Jun 07 2015 | 10:52 pm… (repeating to get email notice)
- Jun 12 2015 | 6:53 pmHey thanks for writing! I actually had a ton of luck with it. I found an old Max receiver for the mindwave on cycling forums, and updated it a bit to work with the Mindwave Mobile. The data flow is pretty slow (about one reading per second), but it comes straight into Max and you can hack away to your heart's content. I made a patch to turn the "attention" and "relaxation" scores into melody, chord, beat, and timbre variations in a seamless manner. Still working at more creative projects with this headset.Let me know if you want any help!Best, Matt G.
- Jun 13 2015 | 1:18 pmHey Matt, Sounds great. wanna share the mindwave receiver you updated ? thanks! - Rene
- Feb 23 2016 | 11:54 pmHi Matt and RBrook,Is there any chance you could share your patches? I've not come to much luck with trying to get the data into max myself... it would be much appreciated!!!
- Feb 24 2016 | 1:44 amTotally man. So I used the Mindwave Mobile. I took code from a patch used for a previous NS headset. What I did was I found this piece of software called BrainWaveOSC, which was a user developed program to stream the headset data over open sound control. Then I took a patch on a previous thread, and updated the port number to correspond with the port number on BrainwaveOSC.Here is the link for the BrainwaveOSC program: https://github.com/trentbrooks/BrainWaveOSCAttached is the patch I used to pick this up inside the Max MSP enviornment.Hope this helps; let me know if you have any questions! Keep in mind, there is not direct link from the headset to MaxMSP that I found. It HAS to go through BrainWaveOSC.Matt
- Feb 24 2016 | 11:42 amGreat! Thanks so much for sharing.I've had a play with BrainwaveOSC before, but I can't seem to get the headset to connect to it... quite a broad problem but any ideas with this at all? Have you any documentation on a clearish process of how this is achieved?Thanks again
- Jun 07 2019 | 10:27 amHi there! I cannot seem to make the headset work. I have a Mindwave Mobile 2.MATTMAN0619, I don't understand. Did you used BrainWaveOSC to get the brainwaves out of the device and send them as OSC? It does not seem to work for me. Did you do something special?
- Jun 07 2019 | 2:25 pmYes, precisely. Use the "port" patch above with BrainWave OSC to read the waves into Max. I used the Mobile 1, so I cant speak for 2. But you should be able to view the live stream in BW-OSC, and with the "receiver" patch pasted above, read into Max. Make sure your port # is correct.
- Jun 07 2019 | 8:04 pmAny ideas how I can change the settings of the BW-OSC app? It seems the settings.xlm file does not change a thing. For example I tried changing the Port number from 7771 to 4001, but nothing happened. I also tried changing the device name. No avail.Thank you so much!