OSC port binding when editing devices

    Jun 17 2013 | 9:02 am
    I'm wondering if anything can be done about the following situation:
    You have a M4L device running in Ableton which is receiving OSC. It is binding to a port. You edit the device - the OSC continues to work in the Max environment. You save and close the device but the OSC no longer works in Live because Max is still bound to the port. You have to quit Max, delete the device from your Live set and then undo the delete to get it to work again.
    Closing the port in Max before saving is the way around it but its really annoying to have to do this every time. The fact that it works from Ableton>Max but causes problems when going the other way makes me think it is actually a bug. When the patch is closed in Max it should unbind the port no?
    Any thoughts?

    • Jun 17 2013 | 9:34 am
      +1 - I find this scenario very frustrating
    • Jun 17 2013 | 11:32 am
      I brought this up on this forum recently for the exact reason you do, Gav; even though "ports only work in one application, there's nothing to do about that", surely the unbinding doesn't work.
      In an orchestra with several people using MfL, and finding last-minute changes before a show and having people go through those motions of quitting max, deleting the app and reinstating it... urgh.
      What was suggested was having a mechanism in the patch in MfL that switches its port when you edit, but that doesn't help if you have a full system of patches running using that port.
    • Jun 17 2013 | 7:08 pm
      Well the fact you can go from Live to Max without problems but not Max to Live suggests a problem.
      If you are using Max then I believe closing a patch unbinds the port.
      Seems like a bug.
    • Jun 17 2013 | 8:49 pm
      > If you are using Max then I believe closing a patch unbinds the port.
      Yes. I've noticed this when binding the same port in Max and Reaktor. So in theory it should also work with Max and Live.
    • Jun 19 2013 | 2:29 pm
      Here's what I tried with Max 6.1.3
      - made 2 devices in a Live set with udpreceive in them on the same port - sent OSC to them, verified that they were both receiving - opened one of them in the editor - now only the device in Max is receiving - closed the device in the editor - now both of the devices in the Live set are receiving.
      Let me know if I missed something. The udp.* set got a little attention for 6.1.3.
    • Jun 19 2013 | 2:36 pm
      Just tried it - seems to be fixed - thanks.
      My laptop and my hammer should last a bit longer now!
    • Jun 20 2013 | 1:30 pm
      Andrew... you're a champ! Will upgrade the band to 6.1.3 asap! :)