patch that works on a mac crashes on a pc

    Feb 24 2009 | 2:13 pm
    I've got a patch which I've tested fairly extensively. It's basically a sample playback unit, that uses MIDI file playback to trigger samples with poly~. Everything works fine on the Mac version. The windows version, which is exactly the same (except its on a windows machine) crashes. It consistently crashes (the app quits, rest of os is fine) only after the audio is turned on, and when a midi file starts playing-- sometimes 15 seconds into playing, other times only 2 or 3 seconds in.It always crashes.
    I've tried a number of drivers in the dsp setup window, and messed about with the various settings each driver has. I've changed drivers and hardware output to a digi002, a tascam dm3200 using the IF-FW/DM firewire card, and haVE bypassed all the fancy hardware that's here (turned it all off)and use the headphone out minijack of the computer, but the behaviour does not change. Before it crashes the audio is finely rendered in living stereo, no distortion or anything. It doesn't crash when I manually trigger samples, which is another feature of the patch. If audio is left turned on without playing samples it doesn't crash.
    Another odd thing-- I've incorporated the dsp setup patch and SOMETIMES, but not always when an open message is sent to the dac object, a completely different window opens.
    This all happened as soon as I downloaded Max and opened it up (demo version) for the first time. I've built a standalone from this patch which exibits exactly the same behaviour.
    cpu usage hovers around 10% when audio is on. No third party externals are used. File paths are correct. Any ideas out there? Am I missing something obvious? What might or could it be (all suggestions, no matter how remotely relevant will be gratefully received...)
    specs are: OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB

    • Feb 24 2009 | 4:27 pm
      Hi Terry, Are there any other apps running (in the background even) which might be fighting over the driver? Have a look at running processes....
    • Feb 24 2009 | 11:39 pm
      Hi Jussy, I'm not at that computer right now, but I've got a feeling you might have hit the nail on the head. Will investigate later today. I know that computer has Nero on it and it apparently instigates all sorts of background processes... anyway if you're right then the standalone should work on another pc (which is the real issue), which I'll also test today.
    • Feb 28 2009 | 11:30 pm
      Just letting anyone who might be vaguely interested know. It had nothing to do with audio drivers. It was to do with drawing sprites in an lcd object (see message #166480). Which I fixed by placing deferlow between the drawing commands and the lcd. This is necessary on a windows machine running the patch, but not (apparently) on a mac. may be mainly of interest to c74 staff... T
    • Mar 02 2009 | 6:46 pm
      Asking for redrawing loads of stuff in high priority is not a could idea, but if you can provide a patch we can at least investigate a little bit.