Let me begin by stating that I never post here unless I've spent more than a few days trying to solve a problem :). So, sorry in advance if this seems utterly basic; I actually think it should be basic, but I'm almost at hair-ripping-out stage.
I'm experiencing something which possibly may be a bug, but I'm not entirely sure... this is another one of those 'should be straightforward, but it's not doing what I expected' things.
I've got a MAX patch that contains several 'p' objects in it, and these 'p' objects open up to reveal the inner workings, as they should, when the user clicks the 'open' button. However, no matter what I do, I cannot make these windows open to reveal the view I want them to reveal. The 'p's contain fairly complex innards, and I don't want the user to see them, I just want the user to see the interfaces I've created.
Now, yes, I do realize this is basic, but here's what I should point out:
1. I've tried manually adjusting the window to give the view I want, and then saving... this is what I remembered from MAX4. But I swear, it's not working at all. No matter what position these windows are in when I save them, if I quit and re-open, they go back to showing the top left corner, which contains absolutely nothing. If I turn the scroll bars off, then I get the same view, but without the option to move.
2. Presentation mode gets the exact same results.
3. none of the usual 'openrect' style things seem to be working at all... maybe I don't understand them (in fact, I probably don't) but I'm not getting any error messages in the MAX window, just a total lack of anything.
4. What the heck does 'focus' mean? Could this be the answer to my question?
5. Define Initial Window location does not work.
Is there a simple answer to this? I am actually starting to believe that there is a bug here, as I have made dozens of apps that use 'p' and this has never come up. This is, though, the first one that I've done in MAX 5.
Can anyone, please (and without judgement:)) help a brother out!? How can I simply define the view that I want a user to have of a 'p' when they open it??
PS. I've looked at several tutorials, and none of them seem to contain the information I want. Maybe I don't even know what to search for?