Subject: PhD Positions in AI / Computational Models for Movement Recognition and Generation at Simon Fraser University.
Application deadline: March 1st 2014
We are pleased to announce a PhD position in AI / Computational Models for Movement at the School of Interactive Arts and Technology at Simon Fraser University (Surrey, British Columbia, Canada). This position will be working with Associate Professor Philippe Pasquier, and Postdoctoral Fellow Sarah Fdili Alaoui in the Moving Stories: Digital Tools for Movement, Meaning and Interaction Research Group (movingstories.ca) lead by Associate Professor Thecla Schiphorst.
Moving Stories is an interdisciplinary, collaborative research partnership leading to the design and application of more richly articulated human movement knowledge within digital technology interaction. The research institutional partners include Simon Fraser University (SFU), The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), The Laban Institute of Movement Studies in New York (LIMS), Emily Carr University of Art and Design (ECUAD), The University of British Columbia (UBC), and Credo Interactive.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work towards developing a Movement API (see http://www.movingstories.ca):
develop and use machine learning techniques for the computational study, modeling, representation, segmentation, recognition, classification, transformation or generation of movement information.
· Support development of computational models of moving agents using Machine Learning techniques
· Lead conference, journal, and grant proposal writing and submission
- Previously completed or about to complete a Master Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Research focus includes at least one of the following areas:
o Artificial Intelligence: Agent and Multiagent Systems, including virtual agents
o Machine Learning Techniques
o Computer Graphics, Animation, and Digital Signal Processing.
Experience with C++, Java, MaxMSP, Python, OpenGL/GLSL, mobile/tablet development, and performance/multimedia/ and visual art, conducting user studies, interdisciplinary collaboration.
Position title: PhD Student, SIAT
Rate of pay: Full financial support for the duration of the PhD. Includes fellowship as well as support for conference travel and gears. Actual rate depends on qualification, and experience (expect between 25k and 35k annually).
Departmental contact: Nasim Jahangiri (Project Manager)
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org and Pasquier@sfu.ca
Job close date: Open until filled
Review begins on (continues until position filled): March 1st, 2014
Benefits eligible: Yes
How to apply:
Application Documents Required:
- Letter of interest (1 page pdf)
- Research statement (1 page pdf)
- Curriculum vitae, including list of publications and name of references (pdf)
- Link to website or online portfolio of creative work, multimedia projects, or research projects (optional)
- List of 3 professional references w/contact information (email and phone number).
Send the document above to Moving Stories’ Project Manager, "Nasim Jahangiri" email@example.com, and Pr. Pasquier firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits to applicants:
- Work in an internationally recognized, interdisciplinary research team with strong connections between technology and embodied experience.
- Receive weekly mentorship towards a research career.
- Vancouver is a beautiful city situated between the ocean and mountains with easy access to year-round outdoor activities and cultural opportunities.
– Simon Fraser University is a unique university spread over three campuses with many strong connections to local video and gaming industries.
- Position could begin any time after September 1st, 2014.
Flexibility in starting date.
- Health insurance through Simon Fraser University.
Associate Professor, Graduate Program Chair,
School of Interactive Arts and Technology,
Associate Dean of Graduate Studies,
Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology,
Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
Mobile: +1 778-989-1240
Phone: +1 778-782-8546
Email: email@example.com | Skype: pasquierphilippe