where's the problem? just use one slot. store slot, write preset with your name.
then load preset with your name and recall slot automatically.
tell me if you need a patch that makes clear how it works..
Right, this is great, but I'm not sure how to integrate it into my current patch - is it possible to just save presets without naming them? All I really want to do is add a name box to my current presets system...
I attach my current setup below - I guess I should have posted it at the start - Doh! :P
What I'm aiming for is something like the average preset manager you get on a synth - a drop-down list of say 128 presets, with a label box and a save button.. (plus maybe a 'save as file' button ;)
the recalling from the umenu wasn't correct. now it should be fine. and i added your original save/load system and changed it so now a second file with the names is saved/loaded when you save/load a preset.
you really have to be careful because every ui object is included. i tend to connect only objects i want to have included.
you can use [pvar] instead of connecting your [preset] with all objects with lines across the patch.
actually i don't use [preset] anymore. build your own with a coll or pattr and it won't have limits like no access to subpatchers and so on.
I'm happy to help and have a nice weekend.
Q1: because it is more fun to build it yourself exactly how you need it ;)
Q2: if you mean the complete bank of presets, that is what i was talking about in my last post. for some reason i wrote "when you save/load a preset" but i meant preset bank, but you'll see that anyway when you look at the patch. i'm out
Oops - I've added it to my step sequencer now, and something weird is going on - when I recall a scene on the odd-numbered sequences - 1 or 3, the loop length gets set to 1 x 16th and I can't get it to go back to normal! ... strange.
have you ever looked at the output of your live.step when you load a preset. it's completely outputting the state of all 4 sequences but you're not using this to update your ui-utility bpatcher (which is buggy anyway). i think i will take a look later that day and send you something back. but this is really basic, and you have to be able to hunt down bugs like this for yourself if you want to learn something.
Ok well I think I've cleared up that problem - the source was a previous mystery where I couldn't get the 'sequence length' parameter to work, but I've made it visible in the presentation now and it (mostly) seems to be working fine.
Still not sure what you mean by "completely outputting the state of all 4 sequences but you're not using this to update your ui-utility bpatcher"
The ui patcher is not wired up properly cos it was lifted from another project and some parts not needed.
I include the latest version anyhow, any comments welcome:
i assume you know that it is only recalling the last bank if you've saved the bank before. you did send me the older example. i just tested what i posted as text file as a m4l device and it's recalling fine when i load the set again. ??
can you load a preset bank with the load button in the device? if yes something goes wrong when you load the set. you have to isolate the problem, or what are you doing when you say "i'll do some more testing"?
and you should try to save with the normal .maxpresets file extension. the last entry in the textedit shows that you tried to save a file just called "test" without any extension. are you on mac or pc?
and you should check the forum more often, i get a mail if you post here and most of the time i reply really fast. but you're replying once a day maximum and i want to bring that to an end swloly but surely. that nobody else chimes in or replies to your other thread shows that your problems are trivial and not very interessting. normally specific problems are discussed here and not many people will guide you through the complete creation of your first m4l devices. so get cracking.
Hmm thanks for the advice. No I can't load the preset with the load button. I'm on PC, so it appends the .maxpresets by default.
Yeah, I'm aware I'm a total noob with this software, I'm just trying to hack something together that'll work for now.. would love to do a course on Max and learn it properly, but I've got a 6 month year old son now, work etc etc!
just do a build-in tutorial from time to time. the help patches are essential to learn.
i don't know what else to try, really weird that the exactly same patch works flawlessly on my end. try just creating a preset object and see if you can get it to write and read properly.