Problem with a patch I have made for other people - no output

    Dec 03 2009 | 11:27 am
    Hello all,
    I have put together a patch to handle a sequenced pitch shifting effect.. It works fine on my macbook, but others opening it in max/msp runtime say they cannot get any output.. I made an input and output monitor, input is working but no output.. is there some object which is broken or have I accidentally included an external or something? I'm stumped!
    Thanks in advance..

    • Dec 03 2009 | 12:48 pm
      Here is a little more information..
      Im running Max/MSP/Jitter v5.0.6 on a 2.16GHz macbook with OSX 10.5.8.
      I am currently using the Core Audio drivers for my macbooks built in line in / microphone and headphones / built in speaker out, though I have also tested it with a 18 channel Phonic Helix Board firewire interface which worked fine.
      Users are saying they can see signal activity from [ezadc~] in the signal monitor, but cant hear or see any output, either from their speakers or on the output monitor (I included two [spectroscope~] objects for problem solving, one directly after the input, another directly before the output). This must mean audio is on, but for some reason not reaching the output.
      The patch works fine for me upon loading it, in Max/MSP and Runtime (v5.0.6).
      I assume the problem must be something to do with the [pfft~ gizmo_loadme 4096 4] object, as the rest of the patch is simply Max control messaging rather than audio. However, the object and contents of the object were taken directly from the [pfft~] help file, so should be right!
      My only other audio processing object in the whole patch is a [gain~] and the [ezadc~] / [ezdac~].
      Could the problem be because users do not have the scheduler in overdrive and audio interrupt enabled?
    • Dec 03 2009 | 1:48 pm
      After troubleshooting a bit more, I am fairly sure now that it seems to be a problem with the pfft~ section.. I made a version of the patch where there is a cycle~ object connected to the pfft~ input for pitch shifting and also directly the ezdac~. The users reported they could hear the sine wave without any pitch shifting while the patch was running, indicating that the audio is not making it through the pfft~ section for some reason!
      They will be using Max Runtime v5.0.8 from here as it is currently not available for downloadon the cycling74 website. Users with problems running this patch have had problems on Windows Vista and XP.
    • Dec 03 2009 | 8:55 pm
    • Dec 03 2009 | 9:07 pm
      As problems occur only on windows machines, I understand, did they install quicktime?
    • Dec 03 2009 | 9:50 pm
      I'm not sure, but I will find out. I wasn't aware pfft~ or gizmo~ required a full Quicktime install. Is this the case? I know sometimes its a problem with jitter and some other objects..
    • Dec 03 2009 | 10:44 pm
      Not sure pfft~ directly requires this, but max in general. You could also ask a tester to install the full package which comes with runtime.
    • Dec 04 2009 | 3:31 am
      any error when they load the patch? it needs to find gizmo_loadme. I don't think the Runtime has the example patches with it, but the full version does. Be sure to send the gizmo_loadme patch along with your patch, unless you've copied everything out and it's not referencing it as "gizmo_loadme", which is a separate patch...
    • Dec 04 2009 | 3:36 am
      er, what I meant was, whatever you've saved your pfft~ as, you need to send this with your patch.
    • Dec 04 2009 | 1:23 pm
      I think I get what you're saying, you're saying that my pfft~ contents are held in the help file for pfft, and max runtime doesn't have it.
      I've copied the objects directly from the help file, so it is all inside my pfft~ object.. which should be included as part of my patch.. right?
      Do you think it would save the pfft contents with my patch if I rename the pfft~?
    • Dec 04 2009 | 2:31 pm
      Oh.. I think i get it. I saved the contents of the gizmo_loadme in another patch, renamed the pfft to the name of that patch and included that in the zip file.
      *fingers crossed*
    • Dec 04 2009 | 3:14 pm
      Yes. Keep all patches at the same level (in the same folder), and when you open the main patch, the necessary abstractions/content of subpatchers will be found. When you debug, ask the users to open the Max Window, and to tell you the messages printed. That will help you a great deal.
    • Dec 04 2009 | 4:40 pm
      Thankyou, yeah I did ask for a report on the status of the Max window, but that question seemed to get a bit sidetracked and consequently ignored!
      I guess my problem was I didn't realise the contents of pfft~ was held in a separate patch. Thanks all.