Reading Live Session clips with a buffer~
Mar 20 2010 | 12:49 pm
Hi there, simple question that is driving me crazy. Is there a way to read Live Session clips into a buffer~ object?
This should be a basic feature of Max for Live but I don't understand ho to do it!!! Is it possible?!
Thanks a lot.
- Mar 20 2010 | 2:08 pmNot currently. from thread on Abelton MaxForLive forum, responding to the idea that you could use current M4L API to do this:Post subject: Re: Max/MSP user considering M4L... sending clips to buffers? pukunui Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:45 pmThe clip name of a clip in Live is not bound to the file name. So you could not be sure that this would work all the time. We have this logged as a feature request for a future version of the API - a way to get the absolute path of the file a clip references. -A __________ email@example.comAndrew is a C74 developer, so I tend to believe him. Lots you can do w/ Max4Live, just not that right now. or MidI polyaftertouch or SysEx.
- Mar 20 2010 | 2:50 pmThanks Charles. At least now I know what I can't do for now... I hope. I'll try to go for the longer way, recording the clip into the buffer~ every time it's launched... T__T
- Mar 21 2010 | 12:44 am
- Mar 23 2010 | 6:39 pmhere is the core of the workaround, from Crampe's linked file:Note that in order for the clip to be loaded into Ms Pinky, the audio file corresponding to that clip must be located somewhere within the Max/MSP file search path.if the clip is in the running max4live application's searchpath, it will be found with just a unique filename, such as the clip is named with, we got that, out side of the app's searchpath , it would require the absolute path, which we don't have. j2k
- Jun 16 2012 | 8:18 amI just had a short contact with Andrew for Cycling - absolute file paths of clip files will be available when Live 9 is released!!! J
- Jun 16 2012 | 11:18 am--- posted into the wrong thread , therefore removed-----
- Jun 18 2012 | 9:56 amBut isn't it better to record it than to read the clip file?If you read it you won't take into account any new tempo/warping.
- Jul 16 2012 | 5:49 pmThanks for the heads up Jan! I am hoping that Live 9 will fix most of the little annoyances such as this for us. Looking forward to it!
CategoryMax For Live