Several patches in one

    Jan 25 2006 | 9:25 am
    i would like to have some advices. I have a piece splitted in 3 parts, with corresponding patches and tracks. I need to make one big patch with the ability to switch in the same patch between the 3 parts setups. There are too many tracks in each parts to put them all on one screen and i know i'll have only one. So, i have to do some scripting in order to "update" the patch according to the parts. The problem is : i'll need to do this while playing (audio on) and the signal chords canno't be erased/redrawn while dac on without glitches, of course...
    I got a first subpatch that handles midi / sensors. A second one that handles recorded audio tracks with lots of polys inside. And different generators (VST's, max built-in, ...). Then, the mix console.
    I can keep the midi patch state, but i'll have to load different audio tracks in the poly~'s and change the generators while playing...
    Any ideas, advices ? how do you manage this, usually ?
    best regards

    • Jan 25 2006 | 10:41 am
      it's probably not what you had in mind, but bpatchers with matrix~ and mute~ could do the trick. scripting would be nicer though, I'd love to know how to do it with clean audio.
    • Jan 25 2006 | 3:00 pm
    • Jan 25 2006 | 5:14 pm
    • Jan 25 2006 | 10:38 pm
      I did some tests a while ago to compare various solutions. More details and the test patch used can be found here:
      Please let me know if you come to different results than I did. These things might depend on OS, Max versions, changes in the code of the externals, optimalisations, etc, so it's worth investigating every 2nd year or so.
      Best, Trond
    • Jan 26 2006 | 3:18 am
      > You cannot "load" a poly~ without > click while audio is on. You need to have as many [poly~] as parts you want > to mute. Then, you will turn [poly~] on/off with mute message.
      Another thing to try is to turn all of your parts into vst plugins and then load them dynamically using a single vst~ object. Plugins can be loaded dynamically without clicking. I suspect that this would not be as efficient as the multiple-poly~ solution, but I'm not sure!
    • Jan 26 2006 | 8:37 am
    • Jan 26 2006 | 10:57 am
      Vaio is not so bad, respective values (in order) are :
      -14% -26% -(sorry, i didn't understand this one...) -19% -24% -93%
      Makes me think that, i forgot to say cpu's raising i've mentionned previously (with pcmcia in the slot, but default crappy driver) was on my GLOBAL's CPU (shown in the task manager), not the DSP's cpu shown in max ! I think it's a really big difference.
      Btw, i'm trying to make an external for windows which could show the "real" total cpu usage in max, not only the dsp one. Not easy, but doable. I got all the handy headers and cpp codes to include. Now i just have to figure how to make the bridge in a max/msp external...