Time (from Date object) not working correctly


    Oct 20 2014 | 8:39 pm
    I have a bunch of student projects that, interestingly enough, are all about clock design. So, in looking at them just now, their times are wrong. They are using [date]. I am also looking at some clocks I created 2 months ago, and their time is off. Doing a help on [date] and looking at the time, this is not right. For example, right now the help on [date] with a time message shows 14:57:7. The date is correct.
    Does the [date] object go to a server somewhere to get the current time?

    • Oct 20 2014 | 8:52 pm
      Can confirm, my [date] doesn't fetch the right time, either.
    • Oct 20 2014 | 9:24 pm
      oh- here as well
    • Oct 20 2014 | 9:25 pm
      as an emergency replacement solution, maybe you can either use [maxurl] to get the actual time form an internet website, or use [shell] to get the system's time ?
    • Oct 20 2014 | 10:34 pm
      Are you all using the same version of max? win or mac?
      There's also an mxj version (I think) of date?
    • Oct 21 2014 | 6:44 am
      date does work correctly here (6.1.9-32bits under OSX.9.5)
      If you don't mind using Java, there is mxj now, and the ntp client port I did once.
    • Oct 21 2014 | 8:06 am
      i am macosx 10.6.8, max 6.1.9
    • Oct 21 2014 | 6:28 pm
      I can intermittently repro here. I've reopened the ticket to take a closer look.
    • Oct 22 2014 | 12:40 am
      Ok, it started working again later in the evening. If time -> [date] is using a server, it may be prudent to include the identity of the server in the help file for [date], or even allow the option (default?) of using the time on the client machine.
      @Patrick: Thanks for your java implementation - works well
    • Jan 08 2015 | 2:18 am
      After using a patch with the date object in windows 7, max 6.1.9, which has worked fine for ages, suddenly its 11 hours behind-- the system clock is correct, but the date object is reporting wrongly...
    • Jan 08 2015 | 3:17 pm
      Did you try searching the forum for "date object"? You'll get a chuckle when you do; this issue has been discussed once or twice. In this thread I surmised a reason and suggested a stopgap fix (restarting the Max application).
      I have had Max open for a long time just now, so I tested the date object to see if my theory was correct, and as I anticipated it reported the incorrect date and time. I restarted the Max application, ran the same test, and it reported the correct date and time. That was with Max 7.0.1 in 32-bit mode in Mac OS 10.8.5.
      @Ben Bracken has reopened the issue, so an additional bug report is probably unnecessary, but it can't hurt.
    • Jan 10 2015 | 12:04 pm
      Thanks Chris, actually I put my laptop away in the filing cabinet without shutting it down, so yes maybe that explains it...! In the meantime I repatched my max patch using [mxj now]-- maybe there was no need to after all...
    • Sep 03 2015 | 2:48 pm
      time -> [date] seems hosed again, so I have switched over to [mxj now] as suggested.