Forums > MaxMSP

Conditional Handling of Data Streams

January 12, 2011 | 7:30 pm

I am looking to build a rather involved framework of bangs and triggers based on the combined states of the values of two independent, three axis accelerometers. The if/then object works great for some tasks, especially when I am comparing values, but if I want to also say, if $i1>400 && $i2<100&& $i1>500 && $i3>0 && $i4>300 && $i5<400 && $i6>400 then 1 else 2, it doesn’t work. There is also the problem that to make a large amount of such of triggers, I will be sending the information to potentially over a 100 hundred if/then objects depending on how many differentiated relationships I can construct. I am hoping there is some easier, text based way of making a big list with all of these possibilities and then assign an individual ID number for each one, to be separated later by a select object. Any suggestions?

January 12, 2011 | 8:31 pm

That sounds like something you’d be much better off doing in a procedural context, like the js object.

January 13, 2011 | 10:10 am

"but if I want to also say, if $i1>400 && $i2<100&& $i1>500 && $i3>0 && $i4>300 && $i5<400 && $i6>400 then 1 else 2, it doesn’t work"

what does not work? there is nothing wrong in this statement.

January 13, 2011 | 12:06 pm

There is nothing wrong, but $i1 > 400 is useless as there is also a $i1 > 500 in the expression.

January 13, 2011 | 1:08 pm

So the statement works fine when I correct the redundant/illogical double $i1 thing. My bad. Otherwise, the js object procedural context sounds interesting if I was going to avoid a jungle of if/then objects. I have never programmed in Java. Does anyone have any similar examples that might demonstrate if this would be a fruitful avenue of study?

January 13, 2011 | 6:19 pm

Doing the above with a jstrigger is easy.

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —

If you want to do some real procedural js, though, just create a [js] object and open up the help patch and reference in the documentation. It shouldn’t take you long to figure out how to do some basic js logic objects.

January 13, 2011 | 7:04 pm

Thanks for the patch, EasyMac. I think working with procedural js willl eventually be an amazing tool in expanding my Max patching. I will have to do my homework though; lot’s of possibilities there.

Just when I thought I was beginning to know Max…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums > MaxMSP