Extremely loud "Bang" from my MOTU 828
Very occasionally, quite randomly (have gone for days without it happening), there will be an incredibly loud transient bang appearing at all outputs on my MOTU that have DACs from Max connected to them. This is a recent phenomenon, which I thought might have been related to the SSD drives I recently installed (the problem started happening the same day I installed them) but that doesn’t make any sense to me.
Has anyone else ever run into this?
Although my problem isn’t exactly the same, I get the same transient bang from my MOTU Ultralite 424, but I get it occasionally and with any program that’s running audio.
Although mine isn’t constant, so it’s not as annoying.
No words of wisdom though I’m afraid, but from what I found on forums, it does seem to be a MOTU problem.
Your problem sounds identical to mine….I can go days without it happening and then it will happen suddenly.
Do you have references to other forums that mention this, I couldnt find anything which is why I posted here.
Is this on Mac or Windows? My 828mk2 has served me extremely well for years without this kind of glitches (Mac). You’re sure it’s not a bad cable or other piece of equipment (speaker?) causing this?
It’s on Mac. I’m using 828Mk3hybrid. When the effect occurs, you can see the transient in the meter display of the 828 so it’s not happening AFTER the 828. I generally agree with you about the quality of the MOTU hardware.
Could it be something else? Possibly but extremely unlikely. There’s only one other audio input into the system (from a Korg Kronos) and I had turned it off and still had the problem occur. The wiring system was put together by a keyboard technician and it’s extremely high quality.
But I’ll check some more and appreciate the suggestions.
Perhaps you have an unconnected digital connection (spdif or so) open in the 828′s mixer? I’ve seen those generating weird noises.
Again, it’s possible, but I hadn’t changed the mixer or anything, (you’re talking about cue fx, I assume) and I had everything muted there. But I’ll check that too —- I appreciate all the suggestions, the anticipation for when it might suddenly "bang" again is incredibly distracting to my rehearsals.
Have you contacted MOTU about it?
That was the first thing I did, via phone. They had never heard of this issue. That’s why I was interested in other references to it.
But I have gotten used to calling MOTU and discovering I’m the first to report a problem, it has happened quite a few times with their software.
Don’t you hate it when the response to reporting a problem is "We have never heard of that before"….clearly SOMEONE has to be the first to report it.
Hey, i also have a MOTU 828 mk3(not hybrid) and an 828 mk2. I have not had this exact problem, but i must say, i had quite too many to call these things totally reliable. Nevertheless i’m quite happy with them.
Just one thing i can think of you could do, although i guess it’s the first thing you did already anyways: reset to factory defaults.
i find myself doing this quite often with my motus..
FWIW, I get this on my Fireface UCX occasionally as well — I too have an SSD in my MBA.
Is it really loud?
Hard to see how this could be the SSDs but if it is, I’m going to have to put back my regular drives again.
Sorry, I didn’t bookmark/ can’t remember the forums I found.
But it always seems to happen when there’s to streams of audio, like playing music from iTunes in the background, and then music of an internet page, which could cause a weird glitch to happen, but generally it’s hard to say.
MacBook Pro 15" spring 2011
2 GHz i7 processor, 8 Gb Ram, Normal Hard-drive
Motu Ultralite mk3 Hybrid
2x Mackie HR824
OK — I’m encouraged by the fact that you mention you have a regular hard drive.
One of the factors I noticed the first time this happened was that regular audio (like iTunes, my transcribing app and so on) were going through SoundFlower. I changed those to go directly to internal speakers. That seemed to stop the sound for days. It then happened just once more.
Now I have uninstalled SoundFlower itself. I didn’t have any problems since then but not enough time has gone by that I could actually attribute the problem to SoundFlower….we’ll see what happens over the next few days. I did have an older version of SoundFlower installed though.