Fastest way to send OpenGL instructions (jit.gl.sketch)?

Mark's icon

Mark

2月 06 2006 | 12:15 午後

Hi there,

I am trying to animate a large amount of sprites using jit.gl.sketch. I am wondering what's the best way to do this. The amount of gl instructions I want to send to the sketch-external go into the ten thousands and this seems to be a bit of a bottle neck within max.

An mxj external is very slow when it comes to sending messages.Even though a c-external is considerably faster, the whole conversions going on between the outlets of the c-external and the inlet of the sketch external seems to use quite a bit of CPU performance and slows things down.

Just as an example I animated 500 sprites (videoplanes). With a c-external I managed to get to 30FPS. I did the same thing in processing (java with opengl) and managed to get 60FPS. Both on Apple Aluminium 1.5Ghz and 128MB Radeon ATI graphics card.

Any suggestions to speed things up in Jitter? Is there possibly a better way to send OpenGL instructions?

Cheers

Mark

randall jones's icon

randall jones

2月 06 2006 | 7:46 午後

try using jit.gl.mesh instead of jit.gl.sketch.

-Randy

lists@lowfrequency.or's icon

lists@lowfrequency.or

2月 07 2006 | 12:54 午前

Can you post examples?
It's hard to tell what you're doing. there are many ways to manipulate
500 "sprites"...

-evan

Mark's icon

Mark

2月 10 2006 | 12:24 午前

Hi there, sorry for late reply. You can download an example (OSX) from here: http://www.nurons.net/sprites_test.zip

The patch contains a simple c external that sends a series of gl-commands out of its left outlet.

I am quite a newby to writing c-externals and haven't had a chance yet to look at the Jitter-SDK. Any idea whether it would be possible to send gl-commands directly from the c-external to a gl-render-context?