Features in M4L
I am considering buying Max for Live but I have a few questions that I bet the community will answere faster then any e-mail.
1) When playing around with the demo I didn’t manage to get presentation mode in Lives view of the patcher to work. That should be working, right?
2) Is there any functionallity of MAX/MSP/Jitter that is not included in the Max for Live installation?
3) Does externals work in Max for Live? If so does externals for MAX/MSP have to be rewritten or rebuilt to function in Max for Live?
Regards, Johan Nilsson
1. Yes – make sure to click "open in presentation" in the patcher inspector
2. You can´t build standalones
3. Max for Live uses the same externals – if you want to use 3rd party externals, make sure they are in your search path.
See also: http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/max_for_live
also, spatialisation is currently practically not realistic in Live, if possible at all.
also, send/receive seems problematic in M4L with respect to timing and reliability.
If you have some specific data or a demonstration of how SR is problematic for you we’d be happy to have a look at it.
unfortunately the problem is difficult to reproduce as it seems to occur only with complex configurations and data. For example, I have multiple midi generating devices and wanted to send the midi notes (as 3-element lists) to a common receiver device for graphical display. This configuration works perfectly with Max standalone, but with M4L the notes are not received correctly messing up the graphics.
I think the problem needs to be investigated further with specific tests in particular with lists, and I will report back when finding more concrete results.
I can’t get fiddle work in M4L, it works well in Max (path for external is set up), and well in the edition mode of M4L, but in M4L the object is grey and doesn’t work … I don’t understand …. anyone can help ? it is the first time I try externals in M4L .. sorry if it is obvious … :)
Thank you !
kjg:"also, spatialisation is currently practically not realistic in Live, if possible at all. "
if by spatialisation you mean using multichannel out it’s not that hard, I just made a 4channel pan synced to 8 channel light (dmx) in a m4l device. And, in the next update of m4l there will be dedicated devices that use the sends and receives for easy spatialisation
re: spatialization — sending out from live via soundflower to regular max works also. Then you should be able to use your ambicontrol et al to do your multichannel adjustments.
Forums > Max For Live