Forums > MaxMSP

Fingerpinger – this is genius!

August 17, 2009 | 4:49 pm

I can’t seem to find anything about this in the forums, so I’ll post it.

Just discovered (through Twitter) a fantastic, little external called Fingerpinger, which basically tracks multitouch data from multitouch trackpads (all later MacBooks and MacBook Pros).

http://www.anyma.ch/2009/research/multitouch-external-for-maxmsp/

It seems these trackpads can track as many as ten simultaneous points, and Fingerpinger even tracks touch sensitivity.

Very nice work!

August 17, 2009 | 7:32 pm

That is amazing! Not sure what I’ll do with it yet, but that’s my evening accounted for!

cheers for sharing

………ideas are forming………

if only there was a larger external apple trackpad available……

August 17, 2009 | 7:42 pm

How about controlling the speed of an LFO just by varying the pressure on the track pad? Or pitch? Or a filter?

Or about how controlling the speed of five different metros just by moving five fingers on the track pad, *and* applying different pressure from each finger?

Or making a sort of "note-less" chord instrument – track pitch from five different fingers, gliding up and down according to your movements?

This could be very interesting!

August 18, 2009 | 1:31 pm

Awesome! Now I just need a bigger trackpad, or… smaller fingers

August 18, 2009 | 3:37 pm

I’m on a 2 year old intel core 2 duo but can’t get this working. Any suggestions? I tried the standalone synth they have on the site too, that’s not working either. bummer.

Is two year old too old? I didn’t see on the site.

.mxo and .help files are in the appropriate folders in Max.

August 18, 2009 | 5:06 pm

Hmm, I think that might be too old?

My MacBook Pro is one of the so-called "Early 2008"-models, but I’m not sure *exactly* when this multi touch feature was implemented.

August 21, 2009 | 2:34 pm

It doesn’t work with my 2009 white MacBook either, I guess we’d need a newer pro…

August 21, 2009 | 8:34 pm

Woah! This is pretty cool!

December 30, 2014 | 9:14 am

Sadly, doesn’t work in 64-bit version.

December 30, 2014 | 9:55 am

@Hodok : someone is trying to compile it for 64 bit (namely, Arvid Tomayko) in this related thread : https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/maxmsp-multi-touch/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums > MaxMSP