Forums > MaxMSP

iTunes Control through MaxMSP

November 20, 2006 | 12:28 am

I was wondering whether it is possible to control iTunes (or Quicktime) through MaxMSP. I want to create/build my own customer controller, and using MaxMSP have the functionalilty to load tracks, previous, next and pause etc.

I understand that one could use max to build my own software version, perhaps using iTunes XML to identify the location of stored tracks. However I thought it would be more elegant if I could directly integrate it with iTunes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

November 20, 2006 | 7:11 pm

Why dont you try controlling it through terminal (using the shell external). I had a quick peak on google, and there is an article at

If you can get that working, then all you need to do is send the appropriate messages to shell and hey presto:D – If you havent used shell before, a quick tip is to use closebang attached to the message pkill. Otherwise closing a max patch with something running through shell has a tantrum.

Good luck, hope this gets you going in the right direction.

November 20, 2006 | 9:31 pm

September 28, 2011 | 10:54 pm

I was wondering if anyone made any progress on this subject. I’m very interested in controlling itunes through max/msp however i can’t get my hands on the shell patch. and the link is a little to complicated for me! ( i’m just a beginner )

September 28, 2011 | 11:05 pm

Check this patch out which should get you up and running pretty quickly!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums > MaxMSP