Forums > Jitter +

June 3, 2013 | 6:49 am

I have been trying to use both and, to be able to pick objects rendered in various subcontext, but I failed to do so.

Is it inherently impossible to get this or is there a way to do it that I missed ?

Right now, I think i am doomed to render all my layers in a same unique context to be able to achieve this… and this gets me sooooo sick.

thanks in advance for any hint !

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —

June 3, 2013 | 11:13 am

hi vincent.
thanks for the clear example patch.
i’ve captured this as a feature request, and we’ll see what we can do to improve this for a future version.

June 3, 2013 | 1:08 pm

This would be utterly great.

I am in the process of making classic GUI element (buttons, sliders, etc) for a wide audience application, and being able to process the GUI elements at the same level as the rest of the graphics is a a real enhancement of the application. I first thought using the native max buttons, pict slider, etc… and customizing them but the limits of this solution come soon. Especially : the jit.window always gets on foreground when the is active. There are many other arguments to using jitter’s OpenGL as the application GUI, but this exeeds this post’s topic.

Anyway, I was just trying to get you implement this feature in *the* next release… :)

June 19, 2013 | 12:35 pm

this should be working as of 6.1.3.
please give it a look.

June 20, 2013 | 1:32 am

Hi Rob,

thanks for the fix.
However, I think it is not working the way it should… or there is something I do not understand.

I cleaned the patch (see below), put names and colors to make the point clearer. Here, I get both sub-node pickers returning only the torus named "t1". And the picker attached to the main node does not returns any videoplane (plane1 and plane2).

Can you confirm the wrong behaviour ?

System info :
"version" : "Version 6.1.3 (c65b953)",
"platform" : "mac",
"arch" : "x86",
"osversion" : "Mac OS X Version 10.7.4 x86_64",
"samplerate" : 44100,
"iovs" : 256,
"sigvs" : 256,
"scheduler_in_audio_interrupt" : "off",
"audio_drivername" : "Core Audio",
"audio_driver_subname" : "",
"eventinterval" : 2,
"overdrive" : "off",
"mixerparallel" : "on",
"mixercrossfade" : 0,
"mixerlatency" : 30.0,
"mixerramptime" : 10.0

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —

June 24, 2013 | 2:19 pm

… isnt’it ?

June 25, 2013 | 11:36 am

sorry, i missed your reply.
your patch has a few typos, but fixing those are still not going to give you what you want.
you are not going to be able use in this way (capturing to a texture, and then picking objects on that texture). the gl.picker is picking the actual geometry, not the image on the texture.

additionally, uses bounding-boxes to do it’s picking. so you will be unable to pick a sphere inside of a torus, because the bounding box of the torus encloses the sphere.

if you want more accurate, mesh-based picking, you will have to set up a collisions only physics context ( @dynamics 0) and create a jit.phys.body for each of your shapes, and use jit.phys.picker to do the picking.

however, this will still not help the issue of picking on a capture-to-texture.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums > Jitter